newspaper advertisement from littleton coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jonathan layne, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 11.12.45 PM.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sholom

Sholom retired...

Yikes! I'm astounded that I read right over that without focusing enough to notice/comprehend. Thanks for straightening me out!

4. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Lots of people do it. It's implied and they get you on the first go round when you are like what? I have to send these back on my dime if I don't want them? My dad let me do it when we were tiny and he put a stop to that on the first one! :)

5. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

been there done that too... when I was a young man about 13 years old or so I bit on that ad. too (yes Littleton has been around awhile) I received many "approval" coins and sent them back at my cost after my dad scolded me for starting it to begin with.

6. Ima Dragon

Ima Dragon Year of the Dragon

Just below where it says 74% off + free shipping it says it plainly enough .

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In my second post I told you to read the fine print. It's in all there ads.

8. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

The tell-tale sign is the edge.... If it's shiny like the rest of the coin, it's probably reprocessed or "recoated". The original sheets were plated then stamped out so the edge should not have that shiny zinc coating but an oxidized darker steel color.

Nas likes this.
  9. Jamor9

Jamor9 New Member

Look at the bottom if the page, it says they will send you coins on approval. .

Gilbert likes this.
  10. Jamor9

Jamor9 New Member

Look at the bottom right hand part of the ad. It says they will send you coins on approval.

11. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Littleton sometimes has loss leaders that are worth buying. Just be sure to send back the first approval shipment with a note that you don't want any more of them. Their coins are decent, but their pricing is outrageous. As an example, they had a circulated short set of Mercury dimes in "average circulated," which used to be synonymous with AG, priced over $400!

12. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@jonathan layne ...all previous posts gave you the full scoop...don't fall for it!

The IHC is going to be a common date at G4 worth maybe 25 cents.

The wheat is going to be a 1958-D Red Brown.

As mentioned, the steel will most assuredly be reprocessed. It's the only way they can get rid of them!

The memorial will be a crappy Zincoln after 1982 with a grainy surface from plating issues.

The LSC might actually be a 2010, but it will have more than 5 noticeable contact marks or scuffs on both sides.

The 2009 Lincoln Anniversary set may turn out to be worth it, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will not have any doubling varieties.

So, let's see...bad, bad, crappy, crappy, not worth a 2x2 and 4 LAC from 2009= worth maybe 34 cents...don't waste your time and money...IMHO...Spark

13. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

You're not looking hard enough. 2nd paragraph states they will send you selected coins for your perusal (start of a subscription), and you will have to cancel if you don't want them.

14. Rocksprings

Rocksprings Member

Don't use a credit card if you buy anything from them.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1st return is free. After that you'll have to make sure you call/ write/ email them to get off the "coins on approval" deal.
    I have done 2 deals with them and came out fine both times. (Many years apart.)
    The coins they sent me were nice, but they were 2x-3x market value. I told them flat out I would be willing to buy coins at fair market value but I can't pay 2x-3x market value, that's just ridiculous.
    The second time, the ad SPECIFICALLY did not mention the coins on approval, but they sent them anyway.

Spark1951 likes this.
  16. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Just to underscore (pun intended, you'll see in a moment...)

Tonite, looking at coins I saved back in 2014...I found a 2010 Hot Springs ATB that I got from Littleton back then. The coin looks great in hand, but under a 10x loupe I found wrapping machine scoring around the entire obverse perimeter...every letter and the date next to the rim are damaged with circular scoring.

At first I was going to dump the coin, but the reverse is MS63... so I'm going to keep it as a specimen to refer to in the future, should I run across any more Hot Springs ATBs...Spark

17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The first order is the approval :meh:

Draft saved Draft deleted