News from the ANA, Support 2021 Morgan and Peace $1

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by leeg, Jul 24, 2019.

1. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

Hope this is ok to post. I'm in support.

Legislation Authorizing 2021 Morgan & Peace Silver Dollars
    to Benefit American Numismatic Association

Collectors Urged to Contact Congressional Representatives for Support

Coin collectors soon could purchase 2021-CC Morgan and Peace silver dollars that support the American Numismatic Association (ANA) and the hobby.

Legislation was introduced on July 16 (H.R. 3757) to authorize production of 2021-dated dollar coins to mark the 1921 transition from the Morgan to the Peace designs. A combined maximum production of 500,000 proof and uncirculated Morgan and Peace dollars would be authorized under the 2021 Commemorative Silver Dollar Coin Act. An unspecified number of Morgan dollars could be struck with the “CC” mintmark at the former Carson City Mint, which now houses the Nevada State Museum.

Sales of the two coins would include a surcharge of $10 per coin, 40 percent of which would be paid to the American Numismatic Association to help fund educational programs – after the U.S. Mint has recouped all of its production and associated costs. The National World War I Museum & Memorial in Kansas City also would receive 40 percent of all net surcharges, while the Nevada State Museum located in Carson City would receive 20 percent.

The enabling legislation, jointly introduced in the House of Representatives by Emanuel Cleaver, (D-Mo.) and Andy Barr, (R-Ky.), requires 189 Congressional co-sponsors.

This commemorative coin initiative is being led by Tom Uram, chairman of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC), president of the Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists, and current ANA board member; and Mike Moran, noted author and researcher, and member of the CCAC since 2011.

“It’s critical that hobbyists reach out to their Congressional representatives immediately to press them to co-sponsor the bill,” says Uram. “We need the required number of co-sponsors in order for this to become reality.”

(Collectors unfamiliar with how to reach their Congressional representatives can visit money.org/coin-legislation.

ANA President Gary Adkins noted that the silver dollar commemoratives will ignite additional interest in the hobby. “I encourage every collector to contact their Congressional representatives to co-sponsor H.R. 3757 and support the 2021 Commemorative Silver Dollar Coin Act,” he said. “Not only is this great for the hobby, but for the first time ever proceeds from a commemorative coin program will support the numismatic hobby.”

The Peace dollar was approved in December 1921 to commemorate the declaration of peace between the United States and the Imperial German government, replacing the Morgan dollar. According to information provided in the proposed legislation, the design conversion from the Morgan dollar (minted between 1878 and 1904, and again in 1921) to the Peace dollar (struck from 1921 to 1935) reflects a pivotal moment in American history. “The Morgan dollar represents the country’s westward expansion and industrial development in the 19th century. The Peace dollar symbolizes the country’s coming of age as an international power while recognizing the sacrifices made by her citizens in World War I and celebrates the victory and peace that ensued.”

The American Numismatic Association is a congressionally chartered, nonprofit educational organization dedicated to encouraging the study and collection of coins and related items. The ANA helps its 25,000 members and the public discover and explore the world of money through its vast array of instructional and outreach programs, as well as its museum, library, publications and conventions. For more information, call 719-632-2646 or visit www.money.org.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

Now that I know that its a commemorative coin, I'm not interested. ANA will some xof that money too which will push the price high. No way

Penna_Boy likes this.
  4. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Before subscribing to this 'possibility' one should research HR 3757 which is congressionally refered to as The GAIN Act. It is just my opinion but I am suspicious that this is a ploy to get HR 3757 through Congress.

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Eh, y'all can support it if you want to, and I like that funds are going to the ANA... but I'm still opposed to it.

Mainebill and Penna_Boy like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

7. physics-fan3.14

The GAIN act was HR3757 of the 115th congress. The current congress is the 116th. Here is the link to the bill under discussion, which has no relation to the GAIN act at all: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/116/hr3757

dwhiz likes this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

9. Penna_Boy

Whatever. You see where your money will go. $10.00 per coin and struck at the State of Nevada Museum. Yeah, right. I'll believe it when I see it. $10.00 ought to be the same quality of the Old San Francisco Mint dollar.

10. leeg

leeg I Enjoy Toned Coins

I'll have to wait and see how this all plays out.

Interested to see what the designs may look like.

Has a long way to go.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No it won't cause the price of the coin from the mint to increase. EVERY commemorative silver dollar since the 1983 Olympics has had that same $10 surcharge on it. (and the ANA only get $4 of the $10. So if it sells ou tthey get $2 million. But to get that they would have to raise $2 million in matching funds.)

Frankly if I were to contact my representatives on this it would be the NOT be a co-sponor and if it come up for a vote, to vote against it.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

No it's not... GAIN was the 115th Congress and is dead
    This is the 116th Congress.

13. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

ANA is a non profit so is $4 of your cost to buy these coins deductible?

14. Burton Strauss III

@CoinCorgi No, because it passes through the government.

@Conder101 very few (any?) of the commemorative coins have had matching funds required - there needs to be enough in sales to cover the USGovt costs. Which is why the Girl Scouts got nothing.

@dwhiz pointed us at govtrack which gives it a 3% chance.

We're also 9 days in and there is still no bill text posted on congress.gov - just the two sponsors and referred to a committee.

CoinCorgi and Penna_Boy like this.
  15. physics-fan3.14

Check the link I posted in post #6. The text is linked there.

16. Burton Strauss III

Intersting as congress.gov (Library of Congress) doesn't have it...

17. Penna_Boy

The Girl Scouts of the USA will not be receiving any surcharges from the U.S. Mint because sales of the 2013-W Girl Scouts of the USA Centennial commemorative silver dollars failed to cover production costs.

This represents the first time that a recipient organization designated in commemorative coin legislation “is not eligible to receive surcharge payments due to program costs not being recovered,” Tom Jurkowsky, director of the U.S. Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications, said Jan. 2.

Sales totaled just 35 percent of the congressionally authorized number of coins for the program.

Of the maximum authorization of 350,000 coins, final but unaudited sales figures released Jan. 2 by the U.S. Mint showed a total of 123,817 coins were sold — 86,354 Proof coins and 37,463 Uncirculated coins. Coins were sold individually, with the Uncirculated coin additionally available in a Young Collector set.

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Would someone please explain why I would be interested in a commemorative that looks like the original?

I'll put my money on old, worn and outdated Morgans and Peace Dollars.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The individual coin authorizations don't specify that the organization has to raise matching funds, but another portion of the law requires it for all commemorative programs.

See the portion in bold

US Code Title 31 Section 5134 (f) (1)
    (1) Payment of Surcharges
    (ii) the designated recipient organization submits an audited financial statement that demonstrates, to the satisfaction of the Secretary, that, with respect to all projects or purposes for which the proceeds of such surcharge may be used, the organization has raised funds from private sources for such projects and purposes in an amount that is equal to or greater than the total amount of the proceeds of such surcharge derived from the sale of such numismatic item.

The law does require the coin program pay its expenses (Which is why the Girl Scouts didn't get their surcharges) but it also requires the organization to raise matching funds as shown above. That was why Yellowstone National Park didn't get their portion of the surcharges from the 1999 Yellowstone National Park Silver Dollar. Yellowstone had no way to legally raise the matching funds. The National Park Foundation did have fund raising capabilities and they did get their portion.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Penna_Boy likes this.
  20. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

I like that the legislation calls for the coins to be the same size and weight as the originals. Most of the recent commemoratives have been struck on a 1oz planchet.

Downsides:
    - no guarantee that the design will be exactly the same as the originals. (I’m thinking about the recent WLH, SLQ and Mercury commemoratives that were less than perfect)
    - will probably be in 99.99% instead of the original 90% silver

I am not a Morgan and/or Peace collector (at this time,anyways), although I do have some low grades, but would probably purchase, provided the design is the same as the original. With a total mintage for both coins, in proof and uncirculated combined, at 500k, that translates to 250k per coin. I can see it being a sellout, but would hope that they have the proper limits on initial sales (1 or 2 of each?), as there are many collectors of these series. The CC version, if made as a portion of the production, would probably be part of a special set, not a stand alone coin.

One more log to throw on the fire - do the ‘fantasy’ DC pieces with more recent dates detract from the interest in these commemorative issues? Just a short yes or no answer. No need to go off on his issuance of these coins, here, as there is a specific thread to discuss that, and I/we request that you do that over there.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  21. physics-fan3.14

Garlicus and leeg like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted