Newps

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Travlntiques, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I'm still working on assembling some sort of an ancient collection, but I haven't posted any new acquisitions lately! These five are all from the same dealer and add a few new faces to the very mini-hoard. I just came back from the Long Beach C&S Expo this evening and was pretty surprised by the prices most dealers had on their similar quality ancients. I left those alone, but did pick up a few Medieval coins that aren't yet photo'd. As far as these coins go, it looks as though Geta suffered some fire damage and I know how hard that is to clean off, but if anyone thinks it's something besides "lampblack" let me know. I left them in the 2x2's for a quick photo session, LOL, sorry about that, but if anyone has some twins please share!

DSCF9224.JPG DSCF9225.JPG
    SEVERUS ALEXANDER DENARIUS
    AD222
    Obv: IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, laureate draped bust right
    Rev: P M TR P COS PP, Fortuna standing half left, holding rudder on globe and cornucopiae, star to left
    RIC 267, RSC 223a
    3.42g / 19mm
    DSCF9226.JPG DSCF9227.JPG
    ELAGABALUS DENARIUS
    Obv: IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate draped bust right
    Rev: P M TR P III COS III P P, Sol, radiate, advancing left raising right hand & holding whip, star to left
    RIC, RSC 154
    2.35g / 16mm
    DSCF9228.JPG DSCF9229.JPG
    CARACALLA DENARIUS
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right
    Rev: P M TR P XI COS III, Mars in fighting stance right holding spear & shield
    RIC 100, RSC 447
    3.68g / 16mm
    DSCF9230.JPG DSCF9231.JPG
    PHILIP II ANTONINIANUS
    Obv: IMP PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate draped bust right
    Rev: LIBERALITAS AVGG III, Philips I & II seated on curule chairs distributing cash
    RIC 230, RSC 17
    3.92g / 22mm
    DSCF9232.JPG DSCF9233.JPG
    GETA DENARIUS
    Obv: L SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES, draped bust right
    Rev: SEVERI PII AVG FIL, priestly implements - lituus, knife, jug, simpulum, & sprinkler
    RIC 3, RSC 188
    2.82g / 16mm

Eng, John Anthony, vlaha and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Oh wow! Awesome haul. I wouldnt mind snagging anyone of those, but the Carcalla and Philip II grabbed my eye.

Travlntiques likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Those are five great pick-ups (well done) ... yah, it is nice to find a seller that has a lot of what ya like (buying in bulk can save you a wee bit o' cash on postage, plus often you can score a sweeter bulk-deal)

=> congrats on this handful of great additions!!

Travlntiques likes this.
  5. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Sweet newps!

Travlntiques likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice group of coins, i like the geta quite a bit, fire damage and all. was the damage recent?

Travlntiques likes this.
  7. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

I love the Geta too. Keep up the good work Trav!

Travlntiques likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I was at Long Beach too. I already posted one of my buys in a new thread already. Isn't it shocking how expensive ancients are at the long beach show? It's no wonder I walk out with very few and stick with modern world silver.

Seems like the ones that have bargains stay on the east coast :(.

As for the coins, they are a nice group. From the photo, it looks like Geta just has an old "hoard patina", not fire. And many collectors desire that look. It means it's pretty much original.

Look at the comments you got on it alone in this thread. ;)

Travlntiques likes this.
  9. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Thank you all right kindley! I'm especially glad to hear of the term "hoard patina"...guess I won't try to clean it then. Yes, this is a lot of fun trying to dig up new treasures and learn a little along the way. I did manage to get another nice Ancient Ant. here:
    DSCF9165.JPG DSCF9166.JPG
    GALLIENUS AR ANTONINIANUS
    Obv: GALLIENVS AVG GERM V, Radiate and cuirassed bust of Gallienus, holding spear and shield.
    Rev: GERMANICVS MAX V ,Two captives bound at the foot of a trophy.
    Date: 257-258 AD
    RIC 19
    4.0g / 24mm
    -Here are my Long Beach pick-ups (half price):
    DSCF9001.JPG
    Actually, I can't quite recall what the 3 bottom ones were called.......but at less than a buck apiece I just had to have them.
    And me with Charmy "The Penny Lady":
    DSCF9271.JPG :)

John Anthony and vlaha like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All the ancients seem very nice. No one can give any valid advice on a coin shown in a windowed 2x2. I don't even like to buy coins at shows from dealers who use them because you can't see some faults. The best I can see on the Geta suggests it should be left alone and would not clean well.

How ancient silver looks when found depends on many things but the vast majority of coins sold were dark and have been cleaned. The decision of which will clean and which will be ruined is something I'm glad I don't do for a living.

Travlntiques likes this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that "abbas i" rupee are cool also!

YES. This got me at the last coin show i was at. the lighting was poor, yet there was just enough light to glare of the flips. i bought a couple of coins for not much money, but when i got them home i realized i would have passed on both of them.

Travlntiques likes this.
  12. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Great lookin' bunch of ancients Trav, great start, they all look very good...

Travlntiques likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

All nice from what I can see. Take them out of the 2x2's and take better pics. Then don't put them back in those, but rather in non-PVC flips.

Travlntiques likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted