newps: 1794 & 1796 LCs

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lugia, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i was at a local coin show with my dad and even tho i didnt have much cash to spend i took one of my st. gaudens for trading. i saw a couple extremely nice coins which i could of traded for but wouldnt of fit my collection so much like a emerald green MS65 DMPL 1880 S morgan and MS toned 1916 S WLH. i still had one last dealer to check before leaving because he was so busy i couldnt get to him before. when i got a look at his large cents i knew it was time to make a trade. you could say i got these for roughly 1200$. a 1794 S-22 VF/XF and 1796 S-110 VF/XF.

any comments and opinions welcomed. would like to hear what some others might grade these 2.

the pics are dark but the details are there.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Great Details and suspect condition. ~Now that's a new one for an old copper~. I'd recommend a good going over with a goat hair brush to remove as much dirt and grime as possible without damaging the surfaces or making mud pies with water. There is a chance that the crud is dirt and not corrosion or 'rust'. In my opinion, you got a fair deal with a possibility of a real bargain depending on the outcome of the brushing.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Marshall:
    You forgot the brillo and comet!

J/K of course.

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

LOL! I'm just now learning the art of brushing and the amount of dirt it can remove. Soaking it is fine for recent dirt, but brushing it superior for old crusted dirt. I even read about a 60 coin being upgraded to 65 after brushing by Sheldon himself in Penny Whimsy.

6. Lugia

i might give that a try later on but right now i like em crusty. he had some 1797s that were really sharp but i dont think i quite had the trading power for those.

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

What do you mean - nice 1797's? Those are much more common than the 1794 and 1796. So if you got these two in trade then a 1797 is certainly possible. I could not put a price on these two - two hard for me to say with detail type coins. Still these two have some nice details. And no I do not think brushing will remove all the problems.

8. Lugia

i know they are more common but i dont suppose XF+ problem free examples are.

he had 1565 written between the pair when i was trading for them. i knew they were problem coins when i picked them out but unlike my S-30 the problems these have arent all that detracting.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Why would you suggest someone to brush the coin if you are yourself just learning?

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I guess because it's the way many old time copperheads cared for their coins and when done with a goat hair brush on coins with less than perfect surfaces, there is little risk of damage. But if you have a different opinion, I'd love to hear it.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Lots of folks used to coat them with lacquer too.

My advice: Don't brush your coins, or if you do, start with cheap ones so you have a feel for what's going to happen.

Brushing coins over time makes them have a very peculiar (and unnatural, IMO) shiny appearance, and has little effect on coins with severe corrosion such as the ones posted to this thread. Next time you're at a show, stop by Tom Reynolds' table and have a look at all the shiny coins -- from brushing.

12. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Okay - now I understand. :) I can see where an XF+ problem free coin could be an issue with trading with what you had. :) I also agree that the problems on these two are not that detracting. Nice details on both coins.

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Point well made and taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted