Newp: Two more Second Punic War-era Republican bronzes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by red_spork, Nov 24, 2015.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Are y'all tired of the Second Punic War yet? Hopefully not! I finally got around to photographing two of the bronzes I got in yesterday and thought I'd share. The first will not win any beauty contests, but is an extremely rare(Crawford only knew of a single example!) semis, likely overstruck and somewhat underweight for the type, but it is a die match to other known examples. It is also from the Andrew McCabe collection.

minecombined-smaller.png
    Roman Republic Æ Semis(18.688g, 30mm). Anonymous, 215-212 BC. Rome mint. Laureate head of Saturn right, S behind/Prow of galley right, S above, ROMA below. Russo p. 140, 2 and pl. 16, 10 (same dies); McCabe Anonymous A1.Sm.2; cf. Crawford 41/6e. Ex. Andrew McCabe.

This next coin is an uncia struck in Sicily during the Siege of Syracuse. The grain ear/corn ear is the standard mintmark of Sicilian bronzes of this period and there are actually multiple similar series with grain ears. This one is also overstruck, likely on a Sicilian bronze. I was unable to capture it in the photos, but this coin actually doesn't have a black patina but a very dark green patina with a few small reddish splotches.
    mine.png
    Roman Republic Æ Uncia(21.0 mm, 6.43 g, 11 h). Anonymous. 214-212 B.C. Sicilian mint. Helmeted head of Mars right; pellet behind / ROMA, Prow of galley right; ROMA and grain ear above, pellet below. Crawford 42/4

JBGood, Jwt708, Carthago and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Love the second one, great patina and nice relief.

4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Nice op coins. I like both but I like the second one the best. Well scored indeed.

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Add me to LOVING the second most of all!!!

Terrific coins 'Red' !!!

BTW: I have a modest UNCIA on bid at the moment---almost as nice an obverse, but a far inferior reverse...

Congrats again!!!

red_spork likes this.
  6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Good luck! I actually got really lucky with this one in a previous Agora auction and got it for about 2/3 of my max bid. I was pretty surprised by this, but the photo was not perfect so maybe that kept he price down. I'm hoping to score one more bronze myself in the upcoming CNG auction of the remainder of the RBW collection but I haven't yet decided which one to focus on.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what they said!

:woot:

nice RR splurge RS!

8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Man, do ya' really like the Second Punic War era that much? They're both sweet coins! ;)

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

sweet AE-RRs, red_spork ... congrats

Draft saved Draft deleted