NEWP: Trajan Decius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I was interested in getting a Trajan Decius and selected this. Spent a bit more then I budgeted on one but I couldnt stop going back to it when I was screen shopping:goof:.

Its also my largest ancient at this time, almost a quarter size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silver antoninianus, SRCV III 9387, RIC IV 29c, RSC IV 113a, gVF, toned, 3.243g, 22.3mm, 180o, Rome mint, obverse IMP C M Q TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right; reverse VICTORIA AVG, Victory advancing left, wreath in right, palm frond in left; strong portrait, nice centering and strike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice one!, another emperor I dont have yet

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I'm a little jealous of your Divi collection. :smile

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice coin Mat. Well struck and with a strong protrait. You can even see the furrows on his brow.
    An emperor which is missing from my collection as well.

7. Cucumbor

Thanks !
    There's still one waiting for you in my "has been" section, you know ! :smile

Q

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Very nice coin, realy like his portrait :smile you can even make out his eye's LOL

10. Cucumbor

Thx Mat(e)

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

even Cucumbor's has been coins are awsome lol

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Trajan Decius is one of the more interesting of the 3rd century emperors. His coins have a lot going for them that make him a popular specialty. He has some interesting types (including the DIVO series!). He issued coins in a wider than normal range of denominations including a magnificent double sestertius. He was the last emperor to issue a semis (half as). He issued coins from more than one mint if you believe some scholars but the final word on where and how some coins were made is not a certainty yet. His silver is still pretty good looking compared to the more porous billon look that got worse fast shortly after his death. In a historical sense, he had some interesting points as well.

I'll link my write up on my favorite coin of Decius - the one I would keep if I could have just one but that's ridiculous; coins of Decius are common and not expensive.
    http://dougsmith.ancients.info/feac51dec.html

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:hail: thanks Doug

14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Ive been reading for page alot this week, some wonderful stuff.:hail:

Draft saved Draft deleted