NEWP: Syracusian Tetradrachm - My Finest Styled Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

I will post this coin here vs. ancient forum as I wish to spare the assault by the "spirited" bunch over there who tend to gang up on anyone posting a slabbed ancient. The thread gets effectively nuked and the coin dismissed. Perhaps you guys can look at the coin and then the slab as I always do.

I got word of this coin coming up on Stacks ANA auction and went down to pre show lot viewing to have a look. Loved it. Took a few days off and came to see it again. Then decided to take my 7 year old daughter to provide feedback strictly by what appeals to her - ran her through 10 different and attractive ancient coins on my watch list and asked her to pick her favorite. She immediately selected this one. It didn't hurt having an experienced world coin dealer sitting next to me to validate the appeal of this coin. The coin was highlighted on Stacks ANA Ancients catalog cover page below. Spent a lot yet love this coin, as its quite special.

SICILY. Syracuse. Agathocles (317-289 BC). AR Tetradrachm. 26mm, 17.09gr ca. 310-305 B.C. Pre-royal coinage, Agathocles as Tyrant, ca. 310-305 BC. Obv: Wreathed head of Arethusa facing left wreathed with grain ears, wearing triple-pendant earring and necklace, three dolphins around, "NI" below neck truncation. Rev: Charioteer holding kentron and reins driving a fast quadriga left, triskeles above, AI monogram in exergue. An absolutely stunning example, leaving little to be desired. Great centering, allowing for a good portion of the obverse beaded border and the full reverse design evoking the finely styled decadrachms of Euainetos struck a century earlier. What really elevates this exquisite piece is the toning, with gorgeous cerulean toning amongst Arethusa's hair seems to reinforce her presence in an aquatic realm. The reverse also features beautiful toning, with similar cerulean and some azure hues melding with breath-taking sunset and rose surrounding the vigorous horses. NGC Ch. AU* 5/5, 5/5. Fine Style.

Special Thanks to Todd (Bluevette/BlueCC Photo) for the wonderful imaging!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Stunning coin, Z. But to be expected from you. Congrats!

4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

That is one awesome coin! Your daughter has some good tastes! ;)

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

A real beauty!

6. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Great coin and gorgeous toning. Where's the "love" button? :D

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Absolutely phenomenal!!:woot::woot:

Only @AncientJoe (or perhaps @TIF) could come close to posting one as gorgeous as yours.

Obviously, your daughter has impeccable taste. Huge congrats to you both!

Paul M. likes this.
  8. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Yeah Zohar, your 7 year old Princess has discriminatingly good tastes in numismatics. I'd say she is a keeper!

9. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

A beautiful coin indeed! I had a bid on it but wasn't the underbidder - it's clear that many people were after Zohar's newest purchase. Congrats!

10. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Thanks all for the kind words!

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

They can debate the merits of slabs all they want, but no one can deny that is an extremely attractive coin. Holy geez, Zohar, that is beautiful!

12. 01mikep

01mikep Well-Known Member

Oh wow, that is nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted