Newp: RR Sextans overstruck on Hieron II poseidon/trident bronze

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by red_spork, Aug 31, 2016.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I recently got back from a business trip to the big ol' state of Texas and the following coin was waiting for me, a Cr. 69/4 "Corn-ear KA" series sextans(you can see the remnants of the corn-ear/wheat ear just above the prow) from Sicily, overstruck on a Hieron II Poseidon/trident bronze from Syracuse. This series was struck near the end of the Second Punic War, a few years after the siege of Syracuse and in a very particular style unlike any other series of Republican bronze. Like this exampler these types almost always come overstruck on 3rd century BC Sicilian bronzes, generally from Syracuse. Below I've highlighted the remnants of the trident on the reverse and you can see remnants of Poseidon from the undertype on the obverse as well, but the orientation of the undertype's obverse is not entirely obvious.

Cr69.6combined.JPG
    reversehighlighted.JPG

Roman Republic Æ sextans(5.48g, 19mm), anonymous(corn-ear KA series), 207-206 B.C., Sicilian(Catania?) mint. Head of Mercury right; above, •• / Prow right with flat deck structure; above, corn-ear/wheat-ear; below, Roma; before, KA or IC ligate(off flan). Crawford 69/6. Overstruck on Hieron II Poseidon/Trident Æ, 275-215 B.C.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

4. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

on the chin of Mercury are the remnants of what I think is Poseidons headband, the curvy lines...
    That should enable you to overlay an image and portray the donor obverse orientation ....
    great coin.

5. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

What a beauty!:woot:

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice!

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Your overstrike is amazing! I really love the history behind it!

Sporky and I had a very similar experience. We shared it in a PM together, so I will copy it here:

Several months ago I attended a coin show in Raleigh, NC. The dealer said it was a Janus head. He had NO CLUE as their were none this small... I snatched it us for $30 thinking nothing to lose.
    upload_2016-9-1_8-29-4.png
    19mm, 5.3g

I spoke with @ancientcoinguru and we noodled through it. Actually ACG NAILED it! I was going down rabbit holes chasing Italia coinage, and she was going after the Sicily issues. We concluded:

(I later purchased low cost versions of the coins so that I could verify)

"WOW, that may be it... little dolphin, Prow interference, but the trident struts would parallel the prow, so hazy, but not destroy the overstrike... Would the Hieron II be around 5g? 19mm (shows AE24 in attribute...)
    YES>>>
    A) Sicily, Syracuse, Hieron II, AE 19 mm., 5.72g, head of Poseidon left, rev. IEP-ÙNOÓ, trident flanked by dolphins, Ó[?] below (SNG Morcom 828 var.), dark green patina.
    Obv. Diademed head of Poseidon left.
    Rev. IEPΩNOΣ, Ornamented trident head flanked by two dolphins; below, N.

upload_2016-9-1_8-32-59.png
    upload_2016-9-1_8-32-7.png
    B) Anonymous.AE-Sextans, 5.21 g. Sicily, 211-208 BC.
    Head of Mercury right wearing winged petasos; • • above. Rev. Prow of galley right; grain ear above, IC before, ROMA below.
    Crawford 69/6b; Sydenham 310d; BMCRR 280.
    Brown patina. EF. Surely one of the finest known specimen

That would work...

SOoooooo.....
    1) Crawford 69/6 Sextans... ROMA below, Corn ear above 211-208 BCE;

2) overstruck:

3) Hieron II AE Trident 275-215 BCE;

4) Siege of Syracuse 214-212

5) 19mm / 5.3g would fit for both coins

Timing perfect
    upload_2016-9-1_8-46-0.png
    @red_spork and I concluded this was a fascinating time in Roman History... 2nd Punic War, Siege of Syracuse, overstrikes of coinage... it was a busy time!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Aidan_(), Jwt708, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  8. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Truly excellent examples guys!! Definitely fascinating coins with so much to tell...

Alegandron likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

whoa..that's cool....what an awesome mess.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet!! => that's a gorgeous coin, red_spork (awesome addition)

:rolleyes:

I have a few cool examples as well (man, I'm very jealous of your new sweetie)

11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

That is awesome!

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Great work everyone! This makes the coin so much more interesting. Is there any literature on this?

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Again => red_spork, I am totally jealous of your new cool over-strike addition!!

[​IMG]

Ummm, hopefully I'm allowed to strut a couple of my favourite over-strikes from around this same era?

BOEOTIA, Federal Coinage (Overstrike), Æ18
    Circa 220s BC
    Diameter: 17.5 mm
    Weight: 5.11 grams
    Obverse: Head of Demeter or Kore (Persephone) three-quarter face right, wearing corn-wreath
    Reverse: Poseidon, naked, standing left, resting right foot on rock and leaning on trident; to right, ΒΟΙΩΤ[ΩΝ] downward
    Reference: BCD Boiotia 108 (this coin); HGC 4, 1182. VF, dark brown patina. Overstruck on Æ of Antigonos Gonatas of the type SNG Cop. 1214-1221
    Other: 12h … the overstrikes are reversed on this coin, which is quite rare
    Ex BCD Collection (Triton IX, 10 January 2006), lot 108

=> I love the horse wrapped around Kore's face!!

Boeotia Federal Coinage Overstrike.jpg

Anonymous. Overstruck Æ Triens
    Canusium mint
    206-195 BC
    Diameter: 20 mm
    Weight: 5.88 grams
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Minerva right; four pellets above
    Reverse: Prow right; [CA] to right, four pellets below
    Reference: Crawford 100/3; Sydenham 309c; RBW 450
    Other: 12h … VF, brown patina.
    Overstruck on a “Zeus/man-headed bull” issue of Oiniadai, Akarnania (cf. BCD Akarnania 345-8)
    From the RBW Collection. Ex Coin Galleries (20 August 1986), lot 117

Anonymous Overstruck AE Triens.jpg

... yah, these coin-types are amazingly cool, eh?

=> congrats for a third time, red_spork (I love your new coin)

... it would look lovely in my collection (I'm just sayin')

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    red_spork, Mikey Zee, Bing and 4 others like this.
  14. red_spork

Of course you're allowed to share. Your triens is perhaps my favorite overstrike of all the ones posted here. Such a cool coin.

stevex6 and Alegandron like this.
  15. red_spork

Charles Hersh wrote two papers on overstrikes and what they can tell us about coinage. They are both available on JSTOR but if you don't have access PM me and I can help. Andrew McCabe has some discussion of these overstrikes on his page covering this series here and also in his paper on Anonymous bronzes he discusses what he calls "Group H1" which is a series of Second Punic War-era Roman overstrikes on various types, unrelated to this one. Other than that I don't know of any one good source on overstrikes, just bits and pieces of discussion scattered across various references, auction catalogs and informational sites.

Alegandron likes this.
  16. Julian Ospina

Julian Ospina New Member

Can anyone tell me about a Hieron II with an upside down Trident?

Draft saved Draft deleted