NEWP, Romanus III Class B Follis, Christ Facing

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Oct 10, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I don't really collect Byzantine, but this one was hard to pass up. Frequently the facial details are lost to wear or weak strikes, and I thought this example was quite crisp. I'll have to do a little reading to attribute - I'm burned out on coining at the moment but I thought I'd throw it out there...

romanus.jpg

Loong Siew, Pishpash, Orfew and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the portrait.

Romanus III.jpg

Pishpash, Orfew, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

It's a beauty JA...Definitely impossible not to grab...

I assume it's one of the 'Anonymous' types', but which ruler escapes me...How one distinguishes from among them will be interesting to read in this thread---especially since I have about three of them, one similar to yours and Bing's and one below:
    autonomous byzantine obverse.JPG autonomous byzantine reverse.JPG

Pishpash, Orfew, zumbly and 3 others like this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well mine is attributed to the time of Romanus III - there's a hint in the title of the thread. ;)

As to how the anonymous folles are assigned to different periods, I'm sure someone other than myself can shed some light on the matter.

6. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Nice portrait on that piece JA. :)

John Anthony likes this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

LOL---Yep, missed that or it simply didn't 'register'....:facepalm::facepalm::playful:

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's one of the nicest I've seen JA.

I have a poor one of these shaped like a guitar pick...i'll be darned if I lost my pics of it. Trust me, you're not really missing out on anything by not seeing the pictures.

so you've added another coin to your collection of coins you don't collect hu?! :woot:

John Anthony likes this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That is quite a clear Jesus face on your coin, John. Those are definitely difficult to find!

I have a manger full of Christ coins which I still haven't spent much time with. :oops:

Maybe I'll dig them out, photograph them, and try to attribute them this evening.

Here's a fun overstrike. The reverse looks like Jesus peeking through your window, holding a can of Heineken.
    HJB-ChristFollis-SB1866or1865-TIF.jpg
    Romanus IV Diogenes, 1068-1071

AE Follis
    10.57 g
    Constantinople
    Obv: IC-XC over NI-KA to left and right of bust of Christ facing, dotted cross behind head, wearing pallium and colobium, holding book of Gospels with both hands
    Rev: C-R P-Δ in the four angles of a cross with globe and two dots at each extremity, X in the centre.
    Ref: Sear 1866, DO-8

A couple of others which I attributed some time ago. Those attributions may not be correct.

[​IMG]
    Basil II and Constantine VIII, CE 976-1028
    Class A3 anonymous AE follis?, 26 mm, 8.0 gm
    Obv: (letters left), bust of Christ, facing, with nimbate cross behind head, holding book of gospels, crescent in each limb of the cross
    Rev: +IhSUS XRISTUS bASILEU bASILE in four lines, ornament below
    Ref: SB 1818?

Another somewhat messy overstruck follis:
    [​IMG]
    Romanus IV, CE 1068-1071
    Class G anonymous AE follis, 27 mm, 7.6 gm
    Obv: IC-XC to left and right of bust of Christ, nimbate, facing, right hand raised, scroll in left, all within border of large dots
    Rev: MP-QV to left and right of Mary, nimbate, hands raised, all inside border of large dots
    Ref: SB 1867

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:eek:

Wow TIF => Jesus "the window-peeper" is an awesome coin!! (total winner)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Loong Siew and TIF like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Great new OP-coin, my friend ... hmmm, I don't have an example of Romanus-III (ummm, or any of the Romanus brothers *sigh*)

Oh, but a do have a sweet example an Anonymous Folles ...

=>Basil II & Constantine VIII (featuring Christ Pantokrator)

[​IMG]

Anonymous Folles basil II & Constantine VIII Krist.jpg

=> oh, and he still has a decent amount of snout showing, eh?

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Loong Siew, Pishpash, Orfew and 6 others like this.
  12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Draft saved Draft deleted