Newp - Philip III Arrhidaeus Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Jun 26, 2015.

1. As common as any of my other Tets, but man do I have a thing for large Greeks. This is 1 of 5 I've purchased in the last month. I especially like the relief and centering on the obverse. The reverse, not so much. I tried a new photo arrangement and used a different technique with my Samsung Galaxy Note 4; let me know what you think. (I didn't reduce pixel count, so you may enjoy the coin in all its full screen glory.)
    Philip III Tetradrachm.png

Philip III AR Tetradrachm. ca 323-317 BC, Babylon Mint. Head of Herakles right /
    ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ, Zeus enthroned left, holding eagle on extended arm and sceptre, M before, B below throne.

I looked for threads containing or about Philip III, but couldn't find any. What's that about? I know you guys have to have some. Post em.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice coin, good photography. Love the relief. I do not own any to share.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

amazing coin.

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Definitely a nice coin. I don't own one of those either.

6. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice coin.

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Super coin and super photograph!

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very slick new addition, iamtiberius ... oh, and I love the photo!! (very cool)

Yah, I only have this ol' counter-marked example (it was sent to David Sear's ranch for a sleep-over)

Lycia, Phaselian Silver Coinage
    (Revision of Alex III of Macedon TET)

Mint: Phaselis
    205/204 BC (year “14”)
    Diameter: 32.5 mm
    Weight: 15.52 grams
    Obverse: head of young Heracles right, clad in lion’s skin which knotted at neck
    Reverse: [ΑΛ]ΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ behind Zeus seated left, holding eagle on extended right hand and resting on scepter held in left, ΙΔ (=14) above Φ (= Phaselis) below Zeus’ right arm (Seleucid anchor countermark in left field)
    Reference: Identification and Certification by David R. Sear Services
    Other: F and of historical interest

coin2a.jpg coin2c.jpg coin2b.jpg

9. I like the coin Steve; definitely has a unique fabric. I would have had it checked out as well. I'm glad David concurred.

stevex6 likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Great images, considering they are from a phone! The side view is particularly great :)

11. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Love that high relief obverse!
    Cheers! image.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted