Newp/GTG: 1851-O trime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 29, 2023.

?

Guess the grade

1. MS64

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. MS63

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS62

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. MS61

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. MS60

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. AU58

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  7. AU55

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  8. AU53

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  9. AU50

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. XF45

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I’ve always wanted to acquire a silver three-cent piece from the only year one was issued with a mintmark. Now that has happened.

Many if not most of the 1851-O trimes I’ve seen lack eye appeal. While this one is no monster, I think it is quite decent.

I’ll reveal the grade after 20 or so responses have been made in the poll.

The coin is straight-graded, in an NGC slab.

D8B9F135-A84D-4A02-B00D-2CBE3DACD026.png 9FD78FF2-C9ED-42E7-BD2C-5F0447F97583.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

A little soft around the edges (like me,HeHe!). I give a XF45! Using the PCGS Photograding. Maybe an AU50 at best.
    Here is a X45 from the website>>>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  5. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Im disqualified as I actually know! And she's perfect! And call dibs 1st if she ever leaves....of course I'll need to sell a kidney to afford.....the one with the stones .

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I went with 50 but I really have no idea.

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Oh Lord I'll need to sell both kidneys.... :eek: you and Larry are going to kill me!

CircCam and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

12. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'll go with MS-62

13. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I went with AU58, but I really have no idea.

Paddy54 and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. psuman08

psuman08 Active Member

These are tough. Diamond and circles don't appear to be worn. Put me in the 62 group. You've made some fantastic purchases recently.

Paddy54 and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am gonna have to agree with the above grades of MS62. If it is circulated then NGC did a good job of hiding the contact.

16. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I’ll go 58 but there could be some gradeflation going on. Doesn’t matter the number, it’s fantastic.

17. Hambone1946

Hambone1946 Well-Known Member

Here are a couple to compare to. Right click to open in a different window to see bigger pics. Grading companys seem to be all over the place on these. img849.jpg img848.jpg img850.jpg img851.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

19. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I'll be an outlier and call it 60.

The obverse is weakly struck, not worn with a rim ding at K12. The lack of a rim is not wear since the amount of detail on the star and shield is not commensurate with the lack of detail on the rim.

The reverse also has some weakness in the stars but is more struck-up than the obverse. The finning is a good sign that the coin did not circulate or did so only lightly. There is a pretty significant swipe through the rim at K6.

Little if any luster apparent and some spotting.

I would call this pretty typical for the 1851-O but by no means an undesireable coin.

20. Paddy54

I agree but the price structure remains strong raw or graded. I was ecstatic to score this specimen.... 20230203_173257.jpg 20230203_173234.jpg
    At the price point paid.
    And one must understand these little coins took a beating... the date has a repunched mm or one variety.

And add this I highly recommend if you have any interest in the series buy this date and mm now! As finding one like Rob has are rare, or one raw to add to you collection now that isn't to beat up.
    Its funny at a show look and see how many dealers have one in their inventory, or a double dime too.
    I have dealer friends whom have a nice inventory of type coins.
    Yet haven't 1 fish scale in the lot.
    Now other areas may offer better picking of such...but here you seldom see an example in a dealers case.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    wxcoin, lordmarcovan, dwhiz and 4 others like this.
  21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

No matter the grade, you wanted one, and you got one, a nice one at that. That's what is important. Well done My Lord.

Draft saved Draft deleted