Newp: Galba denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 6, 2024.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Just bought this for my growing Twelve Caesars set, which is now 3/4 of the way to completion, with nine emperors down and three to go!

It's actually the first time I've done business with Ritter. Boy, they sure use small pictures, huh? Still, it looks pretty nice to me.

Roman Empire: ca. 68-69 AD silver denarius of Galba

96015 (1).jpg

Galba: 68-69 AD, Denarius July 68-January 69, Rome. 3.29 g. RIC 186.

Obverse: Laureate head right, IMP SER GALBA CAESAR AVG.

Reverse: DIVA AVGVSTA, Livia holding patera and scepter. Good Very Fine (per Münzhandlung Ritter).

Ex-Münzhandlung Ritter GmbH, Düsseldorf, Germany (via MA-Shops store), 6 April 2024.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Nice addition to your collection. Great portrait

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Galba is a nice addition. Love his portraits.
    Galba 3.jpg Galba 2.jpg

5. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Nice portrait, and an interesting reverse type. Congrats!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great coin for a 12-Caesars set!

Deacon Ray and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I went along to the British Museum today and they have a fascinating exhibition on life in the Roman army.

I took this photo, which seems useful in this thread. A bronze bust of Galba thought to have topped a standard, carried by a legionary.

20240407_113926 - Crop.jpg

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is my only Galba piece.

Galba All.jpg

Denarius of Galba, Obverse, IMP SER GALBA CAESAR AVG P M, “Emperor Servius Galba, Caesar Augustus, Pontifex Maximus” (highest priest in Roman religion) Reverse, DIVA AVCVSTA, “Goddess Augusta,” Livia standing. Sear variety # 2102

Livia Drusilla (a.k.a. Julia Augusta 58-59 BC - 29 AD) was the wife to Caesar Augustus and the mother of Tiberius. She married Augustus after she had Tiberius and divorced her husband. She was deified after her death. DIVA - Latin for female deity.

9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Ritter is reputable and reliable. You got yourself a nice example, (even if the grading description is overtly optmistic, in my opinion).

philologus_1 and lordmarcovan like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

You might be right. I’ll be satisfied if NGC grades it VF (or even Ch F), never mind that the Ritter gVF grade suggests Ch VF per NGC. As long as they’re Fine and up, and don’t get slapped with any egregious problem notations, the technical grade doesn’t matter so much to me on Ancients. What counts to me with Roman Imperials is overall eye appeal, portrait, and the ruler’s name clearly readable on the flan. This one seems to fit those criteria pretty well.

philologus_1 and Eduard like this.
  11. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Galba. 68-69 AD. AR Denarius (19mm; 2.84 gm; 6h). Rome mint. Struck August-October 68 AD. Obv: IMP SER GALBA AVG, bare head right. Rev: SPQR/OB/CS in three lines within oak-wreath. RIC I 167; RSC 287.

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

These are the denarii of Galba in my collection.

Galba denarius Diva - OBV:REV - GP - 2016 - 2024.png Galba denarius Roma Renasces - OBV:REV - VGP - 2023 - 2024 .png Galba Denarius SPQR - OBV:REV VGP 2021 - 2024.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  13. lordmarcovan

It’s here already, though I haven’t retrieved it from UPS yet. Very speedy international shipping!

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted