Newp for the 7070! 1878-S Trade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by slamster17, May 9, 2017.

1. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

So I've had this on my list for a while and I am so happy to finally cross it off (until I upgrade or buy another one hah)...I just wanted a no-frills common date with nice detail at a fair price so I picked this one up from a local bullion dealer...how did I do? I know it has some issues, but I find it attractive nonetheless..

Attached Files:

fiddlehead, NSP, Seattlite86 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Nice original XF45 with just a little rim trouble. The album will help hide that. :)

slamster17 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

My thoughts exactly. Dunno if I'd quite go XF45 on the details, personally, but maybe. Strong 40 at least. Yes, it's got some minor issues, but it's not bad looking.

Ahh, I sure have fond memories of the good ol' 7070 album... :)

Congrats on filling on of the somewhat tougher holes.

Got your Seated dollars yet? Reeded Edge Bust half?

slamster17 likes this.
  5. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Thanks for the comments...my ego is a bit bruised on this piece as my boss had some choice things to say about it...(we work in the coins dept at an auction house so I figured he would)...

None of the other "big" stuff raw yet...still intimidated by the price tags on some of the Seated/Bust stuff..I'm doing a 7070 and a slabbed set, daunting, but long term goals. Thinking a 20C next.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Very nice original coin. So many are frightened off when buying trade dollars, but they are such a great series with all kinds of interesting varieties.

My favorite trade dollar, a golden toned PCGS PR-64. Seems undergraded to me, the fields are nearly flawless, but the strike is a bit lacking for a proof. Still one of my favorites. IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0056.JPG

7. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Yea that proof is gorgeous, I love the design on the trades, and had been a bit leery of getting stuck with a fake, but now that I've read up on some of the diagnostics I feel a lot better about them!

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Good album coin, nice original.

9. lordmarcovan

Proof Trade dollar?

'Scuze me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard. ;)

Eh. We can't all have monster proof Trade dollars and stuff.

That's a perfectly respectable coin for an album, and if the price was right, hey, so much the better.

Here are the last two I had. This first one came in a "Third World" (NNC "AU55") slab from "Centsles", but wasn't a bad coin at all, and I had XF-ish money in it. Also the sorta thing that would've been good in a raw album set like a 7070. I've known a lot of folks who crack out Third World or "problem" slabbed coins with eye appeal and stick 'em in a Dansco. Some stuff just looks better outside of the plastic.

[​IMG]

This one was a "smoothie" (too nice for a "lowball" collection but not quite nice enough for a mainstream set). Cost me practically nothing, though.

I got it for about a $50 swap, but the item I swapped cost me practically nothing, so... there you go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Kirkuleez and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Oh, no, wait! THIS was my most recent one, from just last year!

It had a little rim nick. Tradedollarnut on Collectors Universe (The One, the Mighty) gave it a 50-50 chance of slabbing if I would have submitted it, but I didn't. Rim nick aside, this one had what I consider perfect black-and-white "CircCam" (Circulation Cameo) toning.

[​IMG]

Like your 7070 set, I bought this one for a 7-piece Capital Plastics Seated Liberty type set. That was a fun "short set", let me tell you! (Sort of like a "mini-7070", in a way.)

I tried for all coins with "crusty", original "CircCam" appearance. Here is the set, partway through. I ended up swapping the set with five coins (minus the Seated dollar and 20c) for a killer Liberian coin. The new owner added the dollar you see in these pix, and later found a nice CircCam 20c piece too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, I post this by way of suggesting that if you go for that nice "crusty" original look on your circ Type coins, you'll probably do better when the time to sell or swap 'em comes around. My preferred "CircCam" look is a bit dark for some folks' taste- but I like the contrast. Your Trade $ in the OP has a nice original grey look, though, which forgives some of its minor flaws.

Keep up the good work! Tag me if you add any more 7070 stuff. Though I am primarily a "Darkside" (World & Ancient) guy, I do like 19th century US Type- and yes, especially those "bread and butter", "working class" circulated ones.

11. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

Will do @lordmarcovan ! Your seated set looks great too. I'm in this for VG money and it really does look great in the album. I'll be sure to tag you when I get my ancients back in hand from NGC too ;) I love the long term goal aspect of the slabbed and raw sets I'm working on.

12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I see that you need a twenty cent piece. This may be the most boring 20c proof in existence as far as color is concerned, but is very appealing otherwise in terms of strike and preservation. The second most that I've ever paid for a coin and the final coin added to my quest for a 7070 proof set that I've been working on for the last twenty five years. This is my sole snob collection, trust me, most of my coins aren't that exciting or expensive. IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted