NEWP : Divus Marcus Aurelius Sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Oct 26, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

With all the threads featuring big bronzes being resurrected yesterday, I got a kick out of the mailman today delivering a new pickup that I thought would fit right in - a Divus Marcus Aurelius sestertius :).

I'm always on the lookout for a nice Aurelius portrait, and have a slight preference for barehead busts, so I was really pleased to win this one (against no competition). The green patina is also very pretty in hand.

This is a pile-on thread, so please feel to share your favorite Marcus Aurelius or Consecratio coins!

upload_2016-10-26_20-24-34.png
    DIVUS MARCUS AURELIUS
    AE Sestertius. 25.61g, 31.9mm. Rome mint, AD 180, struck under Commodus. RIC 660. O: DIVVS M ANTONINVS PIVS, bare head right. R: CONSECRATIO, Eagle, carrying a thunderbolt in its talons, flying right, bearing aloft Marcus Aurelius, who holds a sceptre; S-C across fields.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Excellent portrait, but that reverse is really something special!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    zumbly likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's gorgeous, Z!

I have one Marcus Aurelius posthumous sestertius and it has, uhm, issues :D

I'm not sure why I bought it. It was early in my collecting (I'm still a relative newbie but this was 3 years ago) and there weren't any other bidders (red flag :D). The funky chicken standing on an egg made me laugh. Reason enough? Probably not but now it's mine. Where do you think the rest of the reverse letters went? Scraped away during smoothing/tooling?

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius
    posthumous issue struck under Commodus in CE 180
    sestertius; 27 mm, 22.8 gm. Rome
    Obv: DIVVS M ANTONINVS PIVS, bare head right
    Rev: CONSECRATIO / S-C, eagle with spread wings on globe, facing, head left
    Ref: RIC 656 (Commodus)

Another sestertius, once again following Zumbly's lead:

[​IMG]
    Marcus Aurelius
    Sestertius; 31 mm, 24 gm; struck AD 173, Rome mint
    Obv: laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Mercury standing left on pedestal, holding caduceus and purse (it looks more like a patera to me); within temple with figural columns (telamones); on semicircular pediment, tortoise (unfortunately missing on this coin), cockerel, ram, caduceus, winged helmet, and purse; S-C across fields; RELIG AVG in exergue
    Ref: RIC III 1074; MIR 18, 258-6/37; Banti 260

An Alexandrian depicting a sphinx in the pose of the Great Sphinx of Giza. Was it intended to be that particular sphinx, or just a coincidental pose?

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Marcus Aurelius as Caesar
    AE obol, 20.5 mm, 6.0 gm. Alexandria.
    Year 15 (CE 151/2)
    Obv: MAVPHΛICKAICAP; bust right, bare head
    Rev: Sphinx crouched right; LIE (date) above in left field
    Ref: Emmett 1919.15, R5; Dattari 3221

5. zumbly

Yes, thanks, I love the reverse too :). On the back of an eagle carrying a thunderbolt is really the only way to fly.

I have always loved that chicken-on-an-egg sestertius of yours :D.

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That is a truly beautiful bronze, Zumbly. I do not believe I have seen another better of that type. Lovely patina and very nicely detailed.
    Congratulations are in order!

Here is my best Marcus Aurelius sestertius. It is a relatively common type and with a weak reverse, but the bust is great and the patina quite nice.

Marcus Aurelius. AD 161-180. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck October-December AD 179.
    Obv: Laureate head right
    Rev: Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and scepter.
    RIC III 1239.

IMG_0847_opt.jpg IMG_0841_opt.jpg

7. zumbly

Thanks, Eduard. That's a very nice sestertius you have... handsome portrait and lovely patina; I'd be very happy with it, too.

8. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Some gorgeous coin in this thread!

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful sestertius @zumbly!!! That reverse is fantastic!!

I also LOVE the 'chicken and the egg' that @stevex6 posted!!!

I haven't been able to snag any 'Bronze' examples of M Aur yet, just a modest denarius or two.....:(

zumbly likes this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Troll alert :troll:! Don't read this post if you do not wish to learn something about the coins we collect.

At one time the entire surface of the OP's coin had a patina. Unfortunately, there were raised lumps of corrosion products on several parts of the coin - especially on the reverse. A previous owner has "tooled" them off to bring the surface level. The corrosion at 7 OC went deeper into the coin. That is why there is a depression below the surface with visible tooling. It may be the reason there was no competition to win it although it is a pleasing coin.

If it were mine, I should "doctor" the surface to make it even more attractive; but that is a subject for another thread. Oh, count me :troll: out.

PS The coin in Post#5 is a beauty.:watching:

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My rough sestertius is interestig to me because of the very squared flan not at all like the ones used on the others shown here. I would be interested in knowing why there is such a fabric difference in hat I would assume was an issue over a short period of time. Also, the devices on both sides of mine are larger in scale more completely filling the space available.
    re2300bb1311.jpg

12. zumbly

"Smoothed" is the term used by the last two auction houses in their sale descriptions of this coin. We could disagree about the word choice, but I think that's a topic that has been discussed before in other threads. In any case, I don't take exception to what's been done :).

dlhill132, Ancient Aussie and TIF like this.
  13. zumbly

I've often wondered about these squared flan sestertii and why they have this shape. Are there any good explanations? I haven't looked closely, but my impression is that where there are instances of the same issue having examples of both, we see a lot more that are round than squared.

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Consecration and tooling makes me post (again and again) my Divus Caracalla sestertius. The tooling was to remove the bronze disease but the coin has been stabile for 20 years now so we hope it stays that way. Intil last year my coin was the only one I had seen of the more scarce four layer pyre variation (five is standard) but I saw a nicer one (more tooling, too) which I almost bought to 'corner the market'. nfortunately the seller was not allowing or the tooling in his price so I decided to live with second rate.
    rs6870bb0960.jpg

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Another fabric thing I look for in this period are examples of sestertii struck with the obverse field cupped a bit and the reverse field flat. The opposite is usual and taken to be a sign of thereverse die being the punch while the portrait is on the anvil. I suspect the two coins below could have been made in the opposite way. There are a few coins of the period with two heads which I always wondered if were accidents made possible by the existence of some portrait punch dies. The difference is really a lot easier to see in hand than on photos. Does anyone know of a professional level explanatio of this phenomenon?
    Marcus Aurelius
    re2280bb0134.jpg

Faustina II
    re2360bb0129.jpg

16. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

How about a denarius?

2491.jpg

17. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

HOT green sestertius! portrait is great...color is great...nice and BIG...WIN for zumbly!

as rough as this unlisted coin provincial is, it's my best marcus aurelius...

[​IMG]

i won't even show my best consecratio...:bag:

18. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin buy zumbly, fantastic portrait. :D:D:D

zumbly likes this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very interesting coins all around this thread. Than you @dougsmit for bringing up some interesting points. Very cool reverse @zumbly

zumbly likes this.
  20. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I have a Pius Consecratio issue, under Marcus Aurelius, Sestertius Rome, 24.7gm, RIC 1266. 422.jpeg

21. zumbly

Love the birthday cake! :D

Thanks for the comments and coin-shares, everyone.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted