NEWP - AE22 of Arados

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Nov 21, 2014.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

AE22, 6.88g, 12h
    Obv.: Turreted head of Tyche r., palm branch over shoulder.
    Rev.: [AP], Poseidon seated l. on prow with figurehead of Athena Promachos, holding wreath and trident; Aradian date 130/29 BC in exergue.
    Reference: HGC 10, 78; Duryat 2005, nos. 2237-2438

arados.jpg

I'm aware that the deposits on the reverse could be BD, but I bought it anyway. It's one of the best examples of the type I've seen and if it is suffering from BD, it needs to be conserved. This coin should not be lost for lack of conservation. Will keep y'all posted when it arrives.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice portrait JA. Hopefully it's not BD, but if it is, you can cure it before any more damage is done.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It is a pretty coin, but even this nice and if it was $10 I would have skimmed past it due to the possible BD. I have no patience to try and conserve anymore. Most of the time it fails. Hence why I wont buy Potins in my tetradrachm phase.

5. John Anthony

I've managed to cure a few coins, so I'm not worried about it. But I also suspect the image is lightened quite a bit, giving the deposits that fluorescent color that looks like BD. I think the coin is actually much darker, and I'm hoping the green spots are just mineral deposits.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

More than once I've bought coins I thought might have BD for it to turn out to be just mineral deposits. Keeping my fingers crossed and my thumbs tucked as they say in Germany.

John Anthony likes this.
  7. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Very nice piece JA, good luck with the BD.

8. John Anthony

Arados is modern-day Arwad, a tiny island off the coast of Syria that played a important role in ancient history. Read about it here.

aradosmap.jpg arados2.jpg

JBGood, zumbly, Eng and 2 others like this.
  9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

10. John Anthony

Yes, tiny, but important. And it presents a coin collector with a great deal of variety and interest. There's the Persian Period (5th to 4th centuries BC), the Hellenistic Coinage (late 4th to 1st centuries BC), the Seleucid coinage minted in the city (which was renamed Antiochia in Pieria), various autonomous issues, and then all the Roman Provincial coins. There's a nice overview of the types at Wildwinds.

11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Did someone say Arados...
    Beautiful coin Big John, hoping that's just some green deposits.
    I have the same image of Tyche on a silver coin..

Greek..
    Phoenicia, Arados
    AR Tetradrachm
    Obv.Turreted, veiled and draped bust of Tyche right.
    Rev.Nike standing left, holding aplustre and plam.
    Dated CY 160 (100/99 BC.)
    29mm x 14.97g.

This a new photo...

retake #3 005_opt.jpg
    retake #3 006_opt.jpg

Ancientnoob, JBGood, TIF and 7 others like this.
  12. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that was my first thought as well, it has kind of a "shiny" look to it...makes me think it isn't BD.
    it's a very nice lookin' coin JA, it's a cool reverse and the tyche looks great.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

14. John Anthony

Hey folks, this coin arrived today, and the green spots are, in fact, BD. But I bought it knowing full well that I might have to conserve it. I've removed most of the BD as you can see from the pic, but the last little bit is stubborn. I find that a long soak in distilled water tends to loosen it up, and that's where the coin is now. This is not much of a problem as far as BD goes, and this coin is far too nice (and rare) to simply discard without some attempt at conservation.

arados500.jpg

Once the deposits are completely gone, it'll soak for another month, then I bake it completely dry. If a year goes by without a recurrence of the BD, I'll add a drop of copper darkener to the exposed bits of bronze.

zumbly, JBGood, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Too bad, that sucks ...

I agree with Mat => I don't go near bronze disease (or any disease!!)

Oh, but the coin sure is sweet, so I'm really hoping that your medical-skills cure that funk!! (I'm a big fan, JA => you've got this!!)

John Anthony likes this.
  16. John Anthony

I'm not the least bit disappointed, actually. I got the coin at a substantial discount, probably because every collector that saw it said, "BD! Run!" I've managed to save a few nice coins that were much worse off than this one.

17. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

John Anthony likes this.
  18. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

JA, do you use verdi-care?

... ummm oh, I meant on "your coins"

:nurse:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  19. John Anthony

Yes, I do, but you've got to clean every trace of the BD off first, then dry them.

20. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Phoenicia, Arados.jpg
    Phoenicia, Arados
    21mm
    7.30g
    Tyche/Poseidon
    No BD or VD

John Anthony, zumbly and Bing like this.
  21. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here 's a tiny Greek coin with clear Phoenician lettering on reverse. The top of the reverse shows also the Phoenician letter " Alef" or Alpha in Greek. Th obverse shows a poor image of Zeus ( I believe ) . Charles Phoe ZR.jpg Phoe ZO.jpg

stevex6, JBGood and John Anthony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted