Newp 1955 Proof set with original box

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Mar 28, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

So my local shop that I like to go to, got pretty well wiped out of inventory at the PNNA. I was a little disappointed, but the wait was worth it for new inventory. I picked up this 1955 Proof Set in the box today. The coins are not in the original cellophane, but had been placed in small open ended baggies. I'm not sure how original the set is or if it was assembled. But the silver coins all had fantastic cameo obverses with somewhat weaker reverses. All the coins appear to be higher end grade wise with very little hairlines to speak of.

I was surprised at how nice they were after I got them home. I alway's examine my coins under a bright LED desk lamp in a darkened room. The desk lamp will alway's reveal anything I didn't see under the shops lights. But I was very happy with these.

This half was the subject of another thread I had created, so it may be familiar to a few of you.

1955-Franklin-Half-Dollar-Obverse-Axial.jpg 1955-Franklin-Half-Dollar-Obverse-Standard.jpg 1955-Franklin-Half-Dollar-Reverse-Axial.jpg 1955-Washington-Quarter-Proof-Obverse.jpg 1955-Washington-Quarter-Proof-Reverse.jpg 1955-Roosevelt-Dime-Proof-Obverse.jpg 1955-Roosevelt-Dime-Proof-Reverse.jpg

bsshog40, gronnh20, BadThad and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

4. recoinect

recoinect Member

At a reasonable price, I would have bought the set for the Franklin alone, even if the other coins were culls.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

Nice coins, and great photos!!

6. jtlee321

Thank you very much. The eye appeal on them increased dramatically after I got them home. I really love it when that happens. :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

IMG_3266.JPG This came from the same proof style box set, IMG_3265.JPG

Paddy54 and McBlzr like this.
  8. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

If my OldTimers Disease is still okay. I think the 1955 Proof sets came in the box in little baggies stapled together. Then later in the year they came in the flat pack cellophane.

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes

10. thebeav

thebeav Lifer

They didn't come in little baggies like we know today. They were in little 'baggie-like' cellophane bags. These tended to get crispy, yellow, and deteriorate over time. The result being that the coins would fall through the bottom or side of the cellophane. That prompted the replacement of these cellophane bags with an aftermarket open ended plastic sleeve. It sounds like the original poster has the aftermarket sleeves.
    Yes, they also came in the so called 'flat-pack'.

jtlee321 likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@jtlee321 I wasn't trying to hijack the thread, I was only thinking that the toning on the Franklin was relative to yours.

12. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Well done Justin

jtlee321 likes this.
  13. jtlee321

I don't consider that hijacking. So no worries there. It takes quite a bit to ruffle my feathers. :)

Now if you came in here advertising Chia Pets, well then we'd have to step outside. LOL

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  14. jtlee321

Yes, this came with the aftermarket sleeves. I've only seen just a few with the original cellophane.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would add a word of warning. Because these Proof Sets, in wholly original packaging, often command a premium in the marketplace potential buyers need to be aware that they are often "manufactured" and not original Proof Sets.

Not only are the coin sleeves replaced with modern versions, but the boxes themselves are sometimes nothing more than modern reproductions. What this means is that inferior examples of the Proof coins can be acquired, individually, at cheaper prices, and put into these modern reproductions of original packaging and then sold at a premium price.

So, if one is considering buying any of these sets, then you had better able to identify the originals from the reproductions. Doing this requires experience and familiarity with all aspects of the original sets.

16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

See this all over Ebay, heck you sometimes see the 'replacement' boxes in the list view right next to other whole sets being advertised. They also do it with mint/proof set envelopes and then 'seal' the sets fishing for suckers with unopened mint/proof set. Imo really not much different than the guys selling 'unsearched' rolls. Apparently lots of people fall for it though or it wouldn't be so rampant.

Draft saved Draft deleted