newp 1800 large cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lugia, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

a dealer had this for a few months and i had looked at it before but decided to go for it this time. it cost me 50. i would grade it g 6/vg 10. my guess is that its a S-198 but im not sure.

any comments and opinions welcomed. also anyone else willing to attribute it because i could use the help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Neat coin!

I'm sure someone will attribute it. If not, I'll dig out the books later.

Thanks for sharing & congrats on the NEWP.

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice addition. I am sure Marshall will pop in and know the variety right off. If I get a chance later tonight I will dig out my book and give it a try.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't know what it is, but it isn't 198.

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It's a difficult attribution. It's Not Obverse 1, but beyond that I just can't make out enough detail to even tell whether it's an overdate or a touch of corrosion in the first 0. The fraction bar looks a bit closer to the numerator than the denominator, but the left part is obscured or missing. The tip of the leaf under T is either very low or damaged. The berry under the M seems to have a short stem. The leaf under M is just to the left of the right upright. I'll keep plugging away, but it's not an easy date to attribute.

7. Lugia

yes. i had no idea how difficult until getting this one which happens to be nice yet corroded.

im certain theres no overdate after having looked at all 1800 sheldons.

the numerator is closer to the bar. the 1 in 100 is surrounded by the rust color and cant be seen in the pic.

not sure about the leaf tip and the T.

its a short stem berry under M.

i will work on getting another better colored pic soon.

none of the new pics have been working out so far but tomorrow ill try again.

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

My initial thought is S-204, primarily because of the thin 0s, close 18 and the more crooked than most wreath under M and the stem tips. But it's far from a slam dunk. The C is slightly low and distant from E rather than almost touching.

9. Lugia

when i compare mine to some other S 204s it looks pretty convincing. the mixed colors of corrosion doesnt help. i guess what was really throwing me off is that it was struck extremely close to the edge.

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Being struck close to the edge appears normal on the S-204 and I think I see a trace of extra denticles above the TY.

11. Leadfoot

Paging Conder. Conder, please report to this thread. :)

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Well, to be fair, Condor did let us know it's NOT the S-198.

13. Lugia

these are really not better pics but show some other details i believe.

Attached Files:

14. Leadfoot

I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

If Conder couldn't do it from memory, I stand little to no chance even with books, if experience serves. :)

I promise to look over the weekend if someone else hasn't

15. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I keep feeling I need to go our and buy these books just to have on hand, even though large cents are not my forte.

Draft saved Draft deleted