NEWP: 1683 Austria Medallic Show Taler - Liberation of Vienna From Ottoman Siege

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

I was the under bidder on this coin a couple of years back and really regretted it. This is the nicest I have seen these come. I saw the exact same coin come up on Ebay and went for it paying what the high bidder paid for it at the time. Very pleased!

1683 Austria. Medallic Show Taler. Vienna. Designed by M. Hofmann. Voglhuber-239; HCZ-2468. Herstal 1845. 44 mm. Commemorating the liberation of Vienna from Turkish siege, the defeat of the Turks and the relief of the city of Vienna by Johann III Sobieski of Poland. Obv: The obverse portrays an imperial double eagle brandishing a sword and sceptre atop a globe showing a map of Vienna. The sun rises above while crescent moon sinks below. Rev: The reverse has a 21 line legend describing how the Polish King John III Sobieski, with 20,000 troops, relieved the Turkish siege of Vienna in 1683 and drove them back to the Raab, and thereby freed Hungary. By leading the decisive Polish cavalry charge himself, Sobieski was acclaimed the hero of Christendom. Beautifully toned with nice original mint luster. NGC graded MS-62.

Ex: Purchased from Louis H. Collins by private treaty in 1983.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

So was this intended to circulate? Was it a commemorative for sale to collectors? Or was it a medal given to someone? What was it's intended purpose for being made?

I like the obverse design. The Illuminati appears to have been involved ;)

It appears to be a very attractive medal.

4. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

From the condition of these commemorative types in auction records they heavily circulated. The sun and the moon, double eagle on obverse along with reddish toning is what makes this show taler attractive to me.

5. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

6. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

It is good to know you buy from the ebay as well :) . Btw what is the composition of these show talers ?

Draft saved Draft deleted