NEWP: 1666 Admiral Michiel Adriaanszoon de Ruyter Medal

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Ran across this monster of a medal and couldn't resist. Rare, historical and quite detailed.

1666, GREAT BRITAIN. Michiel Adriaanszoon de Ruyter (1607-1676), admiral. By Christoffel Adolfszoon. AR Medal. 72mm, 125.93 g, 12h. Naval Action against Holland. MI 522/169; Eimer-239; van Loon III, p. 186. Obv: Armored and draped bust facing slightly right, head turned slightly left, wearing cravat and Collar of the Order of St. Michael. Rev: Naval engagement, with burning ship in foreground; in exergue, PVGNANDO (through fighting). Legend: (outer) 'MICHAEL DE RVITER PROVINCIARVM CONFOEDERAT'; (inner) 'BELGIC: ARCHITHA= LASSVS DVX ET EQVES' (Michael de Ruyter, High Admiral of the United Provinces of the Netherlands, General and Knight). Van Loon has placed this medal under the year 1676, as if relating to De Ruyter's death in the naval engagement off Syracuse. The reverse refers, however, to the war with England, and occurs on other medals of this time. Issued following his success in the Four Days Battle fought in June 1666. The obverse image is taken from the portrait by Ferdinand Bol, painted after the action. Issued following his success in the Four Days Battle fought in June 1666.

One of the most famous and skilled admirals in Dutch history, Michiel de Ruyter became best known for his role in the Anglo-Dutch Wars of the mid-17th century, in which he scored several major victories. Widely-loved and admired by his sailors and soldiers, he gained the nickname Bestevaêr (old Dutch for ‘grandfather’). Fatally wounded in action, he died from a cannonball injury during the Battle of Agosta in Syracuse.

Ex Clarence & Helen Zaar Maritime Collection.

[​IMG]

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    mkivtt, chrisild, Stork and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Is that the fellow who sailed up the Thames, and set all of the Brits boats on fire?

4. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

5. green18

I always admired his guts and tenacity.....:) Not many folks know about that engagement. The Brits keep it so hush, hush......

6. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Medal shows burning ships..

7. green18

The clue to my inquiry......:)

8. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Really cool find!

What year was this medal struck?

I missed that info somehow.

John

9. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

10. Theodosius

Ok duh!

I guess I thought it commemorated a battle that took place in 1666...but was made later.

11. green18

Amazing, most efficient, quality. Putting it up on the buy/sell? devil.gif

I think rather not. It's just beautiful, Zohar.....and an distinct piece of history. Cherish it.

12. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

green18 likes this.
  13. green18

I've long admired the medals you post........:)

14. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

I have actually recently gotten back into medals... most of my collection is composed of Talers.

I bought this other Dutch medal recently though.

[​IMG]

Theodosius, Stork and green18 like this.
  15. green18

Lovely indeed.

16. green18

Should have made mention for my admiration for those as well..........:)

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Your coins (and medals now) always have me wanting to go grab up a few. Lovely addition.

18. Theodosius

I know nothing about collecting medals.

What do people look for/avoid/etc?

19. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Dutch.gif

Beautiful piece of history. Thank you.

(The above is a scene from the Raid on the Medway when the Dutch under de Ruyter sailed up the River Thames by London to capture the English Flagship HMS Charles.)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Have been to Vlissingen a lot where Michiel de Ruyter is well remembered of course ;) and of course I had to buy the vijfje (€5 collector coin) which commemorated the 400th anniversary of his birth. I don't really like that design (see the first link below), but the artist played with the words onze parel hun schrick in an interesting way: "By decoupling the words PEARL, OUR, THEIR and FEAR this national money questions the heroes on pedestals." http://www.egbg.nl/?id=1292269519&lan=en

The Dutch central bank presented an old de Ruyter medal in its "coin of the month" series. Text in Dutch, and the photo does not really show details. But it is cool that the piece is hollow to get a better "3D" effect. :) https://www.dnb.nl/over-dnb/nationale-numismatische-collectie/munt-van-de-maand/dnb342894.jsp

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted