Newman Money Museum

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by barbnjason, Aug 5, 2012.

1. barbnjason

barbnjason Member

I was able to visit the Newman Money Museum at the Kemper Modern Art Museum on the Campus of Washington Universality in downtown St. Louis MO.

I got there very late so I had to snap the photos quickly and didn't have much time to read many of the notes. Over all it was a very well put together collection with a diversity of subjects. It was closed at the time there was also a research library with a large amount of book and magazines.

The Ben Franklin was kinda creepy looking.

I'll try to answer any questions best I can.

Full Album
    https://picasaweb.google.com/111258913995630332065/NewmanMoneyMuseum?authuser=0&feat=directlink

IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1656.JPG IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1671.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Analyst

Analyst Reporter, Researcher

Barb N Jason: << I was able to visit the Newman Money Museum at the Kemper Modern Art Museum on the Campus of Washington Universality in downtown St. Louis MO. >>

Perhaps those who visited the Newman Money Museum before 2013 were unaware that a very large portion of Eric Newman Collection was slated to be auctioned. In 2013 and 2014, auctions of Newman's coins and other numismatic items have been tremendous. I feel fortunate to have viewed lots and attended events
    The Fabulous Eric P. Newman Collection, part 11: Auction Results for pre-1793 coins, patterns and tokens

Newman had the all-time greatest collection of Draped Bust Quarters and some amazing Capped Bust Quarters.

The Fabulous Eric Newman Collection, part 3: Draped Bust Quarters

His Gem Quality Early U.S. Silver Dollars were startling

Hopefully, my listings in blue are clickable links.

insightful10{at}gmail.com

4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I feel lucky to own a few coins out of his collection. One commem, a Buff and an Australian gold piece.

I was in St. Louis earlier this year and wish I would have visited the museum.

5. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm proud to own a few too a real stunner capped bust half dime and seated dime a couple more seated coins and a couple morgans

6. Analyst

Analyst Reporter, Researcher

jpcienkus: <<I feel lucky to own a few coins out of his collection. One commem, a Buff and an Australian gold piece.>>

MaineBill: <<I feel lucky to own a few coins out of his collection. One commem, a Buff and an Australian gold piece.>>

I am glad that you guys are proud. Newman is one of the giants in the history of coin collecting and he has contributed a great deal to academic aspects of numismatics. I feel fortunate to just have seen many of his coins and other numismatic items. I will remember the Newman Collection auction events for the rest of my life, as I still clearly remember the Eliasberg auctions of 1996, 1997 and 2005.

Another great Newman coin, an 1818/5 quarter is currently 'in the news':

http://www.coinweek.com/featured-news/spectacular-newman-jung-coin-18185-capped-bust-quarters/

insightful10{at}gmail.com

Draft saved Draft deleted