Newly discovered LMC.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by thomas mozzillo, Aug 14, 2018.

1. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

A quote from the August 13th issue of Coin World. "A new collector has discovered a new kind of mule clash error----a 1999 Lincoln cent with a reverse that exhibits clash marks from another reverse die". The images on the magazine were by Mike Diamond. Thoughts or comments?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If it’s from Mike, it’s true. I don’t even need to know the coin to proclaim this, but how about a link.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. thomas mozzillo

All I have is the magazine. Didn't see anything on the internet about it. (But then again, I didn't search the net).

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Mike is very well respected in the variety world and here on CT. I’m sure that he did his research and that it’s solid, but we can just ask him about it. Hey @mikediamond

Paul M. likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I trust Mike but don't understand how two reverse dies were clashed.

7. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Same way we get coins with 2 reverses or two obverses. The more interesting point from this is that if two reverse dies were able to clash, is it possible coins could have been struck with them?

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Another cent reverse die or a reverse die for a different coin? It does say that it is a new kind of mule error. (I don't get CoinWorld and links to articles don't work, the article appears for about 1 second and then the entire screen goes white.)

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. thomas mozzillo

The reverse of the Lincoln cent shows clash marks of the reverse of another Lincoln Memorial cent. I checked the internet and could only find articles about a 1999 Lincoln cent with a dime clash marks. Mike Diamond's article is pretty thorough and I wish there was a way to get it to everyone on Coin Talk.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The only way to get any of those things is if someone intentionally made them. It is physically impossible for the obverse die to go into the reverse slot - the machine is keyed differently.

Kasia and Paul M. like this.
  11. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Oh I’m well aware that it it’s not possible without some human manipulation, but there is something like 5 coins that have been found that have been struck like that.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Thanks, I was wondering about that, but didn’t want to expose my ignorance of the process. Well I guess I just did...

13. Amy D Antone

Amy D Antone New Member

Yes that is my coin.

britannia40, Paul M. and Cheech9712 like this.
  14. Amy D Antone

Amy D Antone New Member

This is my coin. Any questions?

Cheech9712 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  15. thomas mozzillo

Congratulations on the find and welcome to Coin Talk. You have a pretty sharp eye. There was a follow up article by Mike Diamond in the Aug. 20th issue of Coin World. the article proposed an alternative theory. Has there been a final resolution as to which theory is correct. Also, is the coin being sent to a TPG?

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Could you share images with us?

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I see no coin amy

18. Amy D Antone

Amy D Antone New Member

Yes I know coin is currently at PCGS, has been seen August 13th. Waiting still.

19. Amy D Antone

Amy D Antone New Member

Thank you

20. Amy D Antone

Amy D Antone New Member

IMG_20180718_153517.jpg

paddyman98, RonSanderson and Paul M. like this.
  21. Amy D Antone

Amy D Antone New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted