Newest Victoria 3d's

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sro114, Jan 11, 2011.

1. sro114

sro114 New Member

Just received two Victoria 3d's that I purchased recently. I am very pleased with both coins and the eye appeal is much better than shown in the photos. Both are NGC graded, let's see if you can guess the grade.

Here is a 1901, the line you can see on the obverse is on the slab not the coin

1901NGCobv.jpg 1901NGCrev.jpg

This 1899 has super attractive toning and is a real nice original coin.

1899NGC.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Gorgeous coin, love the toning.

I will say MS64

4. sro114

sro114 New Member

Thanks Mat. They are actually two separate coins and I will hint that one is a top pop.

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

They are both beautiful coins and it looks like your photos nicely captured the toning. Thanks for posting them.

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

7. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Nice Victorian 3d. Colorful toning.

8. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

lovely examples of these coins with a heavy toning. it's strange how we brits don't go overboard about heavily toned coins, much preferring them with full lustre instead.

9. andyscouse

andyscouse Collector of Brit stuff

Very nice! I'd say MS-65 for the 1901 and MS-64 for 1899.

10. sro114

sro114 New Member

That is a good question and one I discussed recently with a gentleman(a brit) that has one of the best collections of predecimal coins known. His comment on this was that he has always gone after full blast luster and it has been quite difficult on the smaller denominations as the ability to find uncleaned/undipped specimens is very difficult. He said that many of the high grade nicely toned coins were sold at bargain prices for years but now are demanding small premiums. Another gentleman I spoke to, who also has an ubelievable collection, concurred that finding "untainted" specimen coins in the Victoria threepence and sixpence can be quite difficult to nearly impossible.

Perhaps this is the reason that you go after the coins with full luster, genuine full blast specimens are harder to find.

The 1899 above has "heavy" toning and outstanding luster that is not apparent in the photo. The 1901 with lighter toning has maybe half as much luster. The disparity being in the photos themselves.

11. sro114

sro114 New Member

Thank you - one correct grade - I'll wait a couple of days to let the cat out of the bag.

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted