Newest Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mark_h, Dec 15, 2010.

1. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

A worn old coin that will find a place in my album. These are the sellers pictures. Seems most of these that come up go for more than I am willing to pay. I like worn old tired puppies like this one.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

You can never go wrong with Large Coppers.

4. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

nice 1834. imagine how many people handled that.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Neat! Congrats on your NEWP. :)

What dates do you still have left?

6. mark_h

Let see:
    1 1793 chain
    2 1793 Liberty cap
    3 1799
    4 1804.
    5 1834 Large 8 stars and small letters(at least that is what I think N-5 is)
    6 1835 Large 8 and stars
    7 1837 Plain haircord medium ,
    8 1839/6 - figure that goes in the 1839 slot
    9 1840 large over small 18.
    10 1843 petite head large letters
    11 1855 slanted 5's(or N-10 - I have knob on ear variety)

A few commons I just can't seem to latch onto and a few toughies to complete the book. So far all are raw except the 1796 liberty cap - I should crack it out and get it in the book. A couple have some spots I would probably upgrade on. Plus the 1823 could be a little nicer.

7. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I've been doing the same thing as you - trying to compile a large cent collection for little money. I bid a max of about $11 and if I don't win I just move on to the next one. I've already gotten about 30 large cents without paying a premium for any of them.

8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

me i want to collect a 2 cent set thats it for old coins and a 3 cent

9. mark_h

A few of the varieties will be really tough to get in any condition. Nothing wrong with doing that at all and I wish you the best of luck. From what I have seen you could probably get 1816 to 1856 date collection with the exception of the 1823 and 1857. Then a few of the early dates can be found cheap also. I wish you good luck. Large cents are fun to collect.

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

\

Is this as blue as the image suggests?

11. mark_h

I have no idea. This is the sellers image and I have not received the coin just yet. It certainly looks cleaned from his images, but I am hoping it is just dark and the sellers lighting. Either way it will fill the slot until I can find (and win) another one. The last couple I bid on were definitely problem coins with corrosion - while the details were better, the price was over 4 or 5 times the cost of this one. We are talking the same variety not the N-5. I actually did not think I would win this one.

12. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

1816 to 56 is exactly the period I'm going after. I'm not looking for varieties, just one coin from each year. I have some standards - I don't bid on corroded or heavily pitted coins or those with a lot of that green stuff on them, but if you don't mind some wear on the coins they won't set you back too much. Shipping cost is a big consideration. I figure I want to spend no more than about $12 total, so if someone offers free shipping I'll bid up to $12, but if shipping is $4.95 then I'm bidding $7 and I won't win.

13. mark_h

Good deal. I would like to see it when it is completed. And hopefully you can sneak in the other dates. That should be a nice collection when completed.

Draft saved Draft deleted