Newby Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Columbian46, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Columbian46

Columbian46 New Member

Hi, I'm new here, and would like to ask a few basic questions.

Are the cardboard coin folders with saran wrap windows recommended?

Are the self-stick or the kind that needs staples better?

Can anyone recommend the best company or numismatic supplies like this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

They are called flips or 2x2's . Depending on what you want to keep in them, they are OK and safe for coins. I haven't tried the self stick kind, but they might be better. With staples, you can run the risk of scratching the coin. the cellophane windows do not offer much protection from scratches. They can be found on ebay and different vendors online. Google 2x2 coin flips and compare prices. Nice thing is they come in several sizes to fit whatever coin you need. I usually get them at my local coin shop since I want to support him all I can. It may cost a couple bucks more, but it's worth it.
    For my W quarters, and higher value coins, I use the hard plastic holders. costs about $12 for 25. Those I buy online.
    Go to eBay and search coin holders. you will see all different types. the plastic circular ones called AIRTITES are good, but they can be difficult to open if you need to unless they have a notch in the side. look and you will see what I mean.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

The correct term would be mylar window. I've never used the self-stick holders mainly because I'm leery of the out-gassing of the adhesive and whether or not it would affect the coins. I also don't know how long the adhesive would continue to hold. As for the cardboard 2x2's that use staples, I'd recommend that you also purchase a flat-cinch stapler which flattens the points of the staple so you don't risk damaging another coin with scratches. The stapler doesn't cost that much and you can get them at almost any office supply store. They use standard staples.

You can purchase coin supplies online at JP's Corner.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. I always use the stapler flips. You gotta watch them staples if you remove the coin. Best to pinch them with pliers to avoid scratches on the coin. I'm leary of the self stick kind. Not sure about the glue vapors reactions to the coins. My better coins are not stored in 2 x 2 flips.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I solve this problem by pushing a wooden toothpick through the gap between the coin and the cardboard holder, and then following the rim of the coin in an arc with the toothpick until enough of the mylar window has been cut to push the coin out.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't call cardboard 2X2s, flips. Maybe I'm wrong?

CoinCorgi and Kentucky like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think you should refer to the 2x2 cardboard foldovers as 2x2's but not as flips, because how are you going to "flip" them. The holders made of plastic that a coin slides into and then you fold over are usually called "flips".

2x2
    91IkJmxwfpL._AC_SX425_.jpg

flip s-l300.jpg

Randy Abercrombie and capthank like this.
  9. cpm9ball

Neither do I! Saflips.......yes!

10. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I learned something new......however I have heard the cardboard holders called flips........but now I know better.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Sorry all but my LCS and other dealers that I've dealt with over the years call the 2 x 2's flips. Just ingrained in me in my old age.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What do they call the two pocket mylar or vinyl holders? They probably call those "flips" as well. Sloppy language practice that can create confusion. I prefer to keep the terms separate cardboard and mylar windows are 2X2's and the two pocket mylar are flips.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  13. Kentucky

A rose is a rose is a rose, by any other name it would smell as sweet...unless it is a begonia.

1stSgt22 likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Or a Stargazer Lily. :smuggrin:

Kentucky likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep, but if you are talking about it and not seeing it and one calls it a rose, one calls it a daisy and one calls it stinkweed there's going to be a lot of confusion. Even if it does smell sweet. Hence the need to use proper and consistent terms.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

I agree and was just trying to be crotchety...do you offer lessons? :)

17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

You know what else smells like roses?

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 2X2 cardboard window holders provide good protection, but you have be very careful with the staples. Many coins have damaged or ruined buy the sharp points and by the rounded areas that the stapler anvil creates. You need to mash down those areas flat with a pair of pliers.

I am not a fan of the stick together 2X2 mainly because they don't last. Also there could be something in the glue that could tone the coins. I am not 100% sure that this is true, but where gases are trapped in a confined space with a coin, the results can pose a problem.

I didn't use to use them, but I am now using safety flips for my raw coins. The are easier to use than coin envelopes because you can see the coin with minimal effort.

Stay away from the flips that have PVC in them. They break down and the chemicals can damage the coins. PVC flips are only good for short term storage.

Chris Winkler likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

Yeah, and if anybody dares to call them "saddlebags", I'm gonna hang 'em by the nearest tree :dead: and steal their horse.:rolleyes:

Chris Winkler likes this.
  20. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

I hate those cardboard/mylar flips. Ruined a number of silver coins with black spots where there was a pin hole. You can get nice archival quality flips from places like www.CoinSupplyExpress.com, who send frequent 10% discounts. Then store them in a Lighthouse Intercept or similar box with lots of dessicant in them.

21. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

The white cardboard holders with staples have been around forever...I recall them almost exclusively back in the 50s-60s. I always removed the staple(s) entirely when needing to remove a coin...never liked having an extra set holes showing for each staple as could never match the old holes with a new staple or wanted to re-use/re-secure an old staple. Yes, I was picky. Biggest thing for me, though, was having to crimp x 2 all the staples (4 staples, 8 crimps), or they would get caught on other stapled holders and were problematic getting in/out of coin boxes. Later came staplers with flat staples...without the need to crimp...although they had issues of their own. These holders are still going strong with many collectors, esp for inexpensive coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted