Newby Question about Errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dan_2017, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Dan_2017

Dan_2017 New Member

Hi. I have a question that might be out in left field, but maybe not. I've got thousands of pennies and have gone through them once and picked out the wheaties. After coming here a year or so ago I found out there are a large number of errors that people look for, like letters being separated too much and so on. I got a little overwhelmed and gave up. I'm wondering whether anybody has compiled a list of all the "standard" errors you could look for. Maybe something like a top 10 (or dummies guide) list along with how to spot the errors.

Thanks for any direction!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

www.doubleddie.com/58243.html you can start there, there is endless list of possible errors, the more you study, youll be able to know what has any value or not, just my suggested route. they seem to focus on die varieties and such. rpms, doubled dies.

5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

lincolncentresource.com/Featured/FeaturedCoins.html

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If a person just uses a list , they still can't be sure they are correct or not, as damage can occur to mimic it, so it increases the time used.

If a person reads, studies, and understands how the minting process works, they do not have to read the list and not know if its real or damage. Even knowing damage takes study also. No one is born knowing doubled dies from mechanical doubling, so they also must learn this. It sounds like it is slower, but it will project into future situations.

Jim

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

No top ten list.

That said, get a hold of some Cherrypickers guides and start looking for those.

For any coin issue (i.e., cents, nickels, Dimes, quarters, etc.), make your own list..... At some point you will have memorized the dates and what to look for on each (well, probably at least most). You want to look for the POPs (pick-up points) for ones with known errors/varieties as well as things to look for 'in general'. For example, if in looking at quarters and you see an Arizona one, minted in Philly, you want to look for the extra cactus on the reverse. The spot that will occur is the POP. If you have a 1998-2000 cent, you want to look for the WAM and that coin has two main POPs for that... The AM in AMERICA and the FG initials.

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Let me back you up just a little, Dan. There’s an error-hysteria on this list which I have to tell you at times seems like it’s out of control. If any of it were warranted, the other coin forums would be infected with this epidemic, as well. But they’re not, not even close. That said, this is how you start. Popular on these wheat cents are mint marks that are punched over, at times. Look up RPM and get the hang of how to spot those. There’s a good error to start on, as quite a lot exist. Another is doubled dies. Just look those up. We’ll teach you as you go along. But have some sense, too, and I can’t under-stress that. If a cent looks like it was stepped on a few million times in a concrete parking lot, it probably was and unfortunately isn’t a mint error. But I’d start with those, FWIW. Good luck.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The first step is to get a GOOD understanding of the minting process. Once you have a thorough understanding of how coins are made, it becomes much easier to determine if a coin is an error or not.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

order some ebooks, from coneca .......

11. Dan_2017

Dan_2017 New Member

Thank you for all the replies! I have a better understanding of what I need to do. Let me do a little research based on the above and I'm sure I'll have some questions based on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted