Newbies and their questions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Apr 10, 2021.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Me too. I've even told newbies from time to time to look these up on YouTube in an effort to explain some of the imperfections they're seeing. They seem to be coming in thinking these coins are minted with cookie-cutter precision and as such get the idea the imperfections are rare errors. The videos I think go a long way in disabusing them of that erroneous notion.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Go to the top of the page and put "
    Let's see your newest acquisitions
    in the search box on top right and there it be.

4. Kashmir Pulaski

Kashmir Pulaski Well-Known Member

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You are welcome!

6. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

I guess I am a newbie starting over again fifty years later. :)

Wow, the information available today boggles my mind!

When I was a kid all I had was a red book and coin newspapers. You had no real choice, but to learn the basics without any help. Today kids have a whole new set of tools with no gatekeepers and that's a plus and a minus. They also handle information or lack of, much differently than "old" collectors. It's not their fault that their process is vastly different today as that's their world now. They are also moving at a pace that's so much faster than mine, everything is instantaneously vs having to wait till you get to the library or a LCS before you could possibly have an answer or be pointed in another direction.

"I have a penny without a mint mark"!!!

What newbie didn't get excited about a great possible coin? If they didn't then they would surely lose interest in the hobby pretty quickly.

Yeah, they could take the time and patience's to s-l-o-w-l-y look for more information before declaring the greatest find of the year, but they don't move slow, slow isn't a plus for them at all. Be proven right or wrong and then move on.
    I try not to be a Luddite, but the amount of information that crossed me monthly as a kid is probably how much they see in one morning today. They are different, no right or wrong here, just a fact.

True, they need to learn to look a bit farther first and maybe they do? The good thing about newbies is that they will kept the hobby going and that is great!!

That was my two-cents (bad pun,I know) and now I have to go out and yell at those darn kids to get off my lawn! ;)

Ps enjoyed the thread, I'm learning a lot. Thanks.

CREATIVECRHUNTER, PamR and micbraun like this.
  7. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Ooo oooo I read it! Thumbs up!! :joyful: I have learned to accept the critiques and are appreciated. I won’t say I have not gotten a little testy at times.:greedy: Thanks to all that help!

furryfrog02 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted