Newbie toning preservation question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Scottyk111, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

I'm starting to think about collecting very toned coins. Is there a way to seal or preserve the toning color? Or is it a process that will always be changing as the coin ages?
    Thanks. Here's an example I found that I like. Screenshot_2020-04-04-10-16-00.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Some stay the same and some get darker over time. Wait for more opinions....

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that is either
    A) Artificially toned
    or
    B) Heavily photoshopped

micbraun and spirityoda like this.
  5. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

Hmm ok. Seems to be from reputable seller and he has many more with similar rainbows

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I have a few proof sets (1970-1990) in which the Lincoln Cents have toned in brilliant hues like this. They are in the small plastic cases, and I have no idea why they toned like this. It looks NT to me, and I suspect that the photographer was exceedingly capable in bringing out the best in the appearance of the toning.
    ~ Chris

spirityoda and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I strongly agree.

As for your questions -

Yes, but you probably won't like it.

And yes, unless you do one of two things. The first thing has to do with your first question, and my answer. You can put the coin in one of these -

[​IMG]

Those, and other jars like them, (Mason Jars), are the only truly airtight containers that I know of that the average person can readily buy. And airtight is what it takes to keep to keep the coin always the same. That's because air is the enemy of coins.

The second thing you can do is to practice safe storage of your coins. It's more complicated than the jars above, and it will not completely stop toning. But it will slow it down so much that it's not likely you will ever notice much change in your lifetime.

If you want to know what safe storage or proper coin coin storage entails simply search the forum using my user name in the appropriate box and you'll find what you need to know as I've posted about it many times.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How do you remove the air that is trapped inside the jar when you seal it?

It is known that the rubber ring used to make it airtight may eventually dry out. Once this happens, air can begin to seep into the jar. So, this is not really considered a permanent solution. Correct? ~ Chris

9. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Wouldn't touch that piece with a ten foot poker.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Be sure you can return it if you buy it. I suspect it is photoshop enhanced also. But either way do not expect it to stay that way unprotected. Jim

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm going to go with Option C

C) Both

micbraun and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. GDJMSP

You don't. Best you can do is put a desiccant pack in there with it - just like ya do with all other proper storage methods.

They'll last quite a few years, and maybe even a decade, but yeah eventually they'll need replaced. And when ya do you also replace or recharge the desiccant pack.

Like I said, nobody would like the method, but it is the best there is. Unless you got access to a modern lab and all the materials needed.

13. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

What about if you get it graded? Are those airtight plastic storage units?

14. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

No they aren't.

15. Scottyk111

Scottyk111 New Member

Boggles my mind we can develop specialty fiber optics to insert into the brain and zap brain cancer with lasers without damage... but when it come to molding an airtight plastic holder... nope. roll eyes

16. GDJMSP

Well, a lot of folks don't realize it but plastic itself is air permeable. Point is it doesn't have anything to do with molding it, no matter how ya mold it or seal the joints, it's still air permeable. The problem is with the material itself, not technology.

Draft saved Draft deleted