Newbie help with Jefferson nickel 1955-D

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by vent1020, Jan 26, 2020.

1. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

So, I picked up 9 rolls or Jefferson nickels from 1955 and older. They are all BU and ALL of them display original luster. I have been doing the best I can on researching how to grade Jefferson nickels. I'm just not getting it. Even looking at PCGS photograde doesn't help me differentiate between a 65 and 67. As we all know, the difference between a MS-65 and MS-67 can be A LOT of money.

My question is, specifically on this 1955-D Jefferson.(I also included a picture of the full roll of coins) Now, I know one with full steps is extremely rare. My question is, this particular one I found while going through the roll has partial steps. Would this be a good indication that it will grade higher? I know bag marks(I don't really see any) and wear on the high points would also determine the grade. But again, just wondering if partial steps on a 1955-D would mean a higher grade? Thanks for the education.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

probably me but I can't see the steps good enough, also is that wear on the cheek and upward?? I am sure someone on here has you're answers, my eyes are older then me:shame:

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Since you are focusing on steps, I would have to say that although your coins are pretty, full steps means full steps. One or two steps will not make for a grade bump. In this case it would be 5 steps without interruption for a full step designation. I'm not seeing more than two steps on these examples. I'm also seeing die wear. It is apparent on the reverse of one with a ring starting to form inside the edge and the die polishing in the fields. Also the wear on the jaw is a factor. Wait for the others to chime in but I'm at MS64. These are indeed hard to find in superb grades.

5. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

Thanks for the input so far. And, I know it's far from FS, just was wondering if partial steps indicated a good strike and higher grade. Guess what I should have asked for, which tommyc03 sort of answered, is sure fire what to look for on Jeffersons to determine higher grades. Again, I have 9 full rolls of BU Jeffersons but not sure how to tell a BU-65 from a BU-66 or 67. I'd love to send some in to PCGS or NGC but don't want to waste my money. Thanks again for any input.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

In my opinion, no, partial steps are just that. Aside from the steps, it appears to me that this was struck with very tired dies as the devices are faint and weakly struck. A nice addition to a collection, but not worth much of a premium IMO. Be sure to keep your eyes open for the 1955 D/S.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

No, do not send these in but keep searching your rolls looking for something better than you have found so far. Grading can be tough and subjective and the TPG's have some give with certain coins. At $30.00 or so to have slabbed, it is not worth the money to get disappointed. Perhaps someone here can offer some sites that can give you a better idea on how to grade these.

8. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

Thanks. Yeah, I have a couple where the D looks a bit different, but need to get a high powered magnifying glass or something to magnify and tell for sure.

9. vent1020

vent1020 Junior Member

So are you saying most likely the whole roll is weak based on the one? Just asking.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

None of them are worth grading.

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Not neccesarily , you won't know that until you've gone through all of them. They may not have all come from the same dies. Keep up the good search though. I do hope you will find some better.

12. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As is often the case, coins from different dies/machines are mixed together in the same bag and contingent on what 'pocket' of coins are grabbed for rolling, you will have a different mix in each roll. Sometimes, you get a nearly pure roll...other times, they are well mixed. Typically, uncirculated rolls I search are from 2-3 different die sets. When you get rolls like this, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the various varieties available. A variety in high state is obviously, more desirable, and generally speaking, worth more than the base date/mm coin.

Regarding the Photograde, be sure to examine things like carbon spots, depth and count of bag digs and dings, the condition of the rims, and degree of coin burnish marks (especially on AU/MS coins) in their photos. Also consider the location of where the subject damage appears. Is it in a conspicuous spot? A dig on the nose vs a narrow open field will affect the grading considerably. And the majority of the grade will lean towards the condition of the obverse.

If you look at the MS65 Jefferson at the Photograde, the obverse looks pretty decent regarding digs and dings. But the carbon spots are rather conspicuous and present in locations that folks typically scrutinize. Rim looks good, most significant ding at 12 o'clock. Some toning in areas consistent with coin-to-coin abrasion. But not significant in my opinion. Letters and Date full with light contact marks.

The Reverse is a different story. Several carbon spots and one more significant spot at 7 o'clock (possible Verdi). Several digs and dings, 3 or so are more significant especially the one left of the left window and the one above the foundation (left). Rim is nicked in several spots. Close examination reveals surface scratches from re-dressing the die and a chip on the top right of the building gate. These will generally not detract from the grade, but for me, it's hard to ignore. To what effect? I don't know. But my guess is that the grade of this coin considers the lower condition of the reverse, as aside from the spots on the obverse, it's pretty sharp.

slackaction1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted