Newbie asking for help

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by klimokent, Apr 30, 2016.

1. klimokent

klimokent New Member

I have some vending machines and occasionally get some interesting but not necessarily valuable coins. Today I got a 1943 mercury dime with some strange marks on it I cant find anything like it researching online and was looking for some help if anyone could help me determine what this ( defect, error?) is.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Looks like you've found a damaged Merc. An error though, no....

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

may have at one time been used as a cuff link or attached to a ring... just damaged now..

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Direct future research on the coin making process.

It will help you in understanding what "could" have happened to a coin during the coining process vs what would be totally impossible to occur during the coining process.

This holds true for virtually every person looking at a coin wondering if it happened during the coin or die making process (error's and varieties) of if occurred "after" the coin left the press.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Still a good conversation piece

7. klimokent

klimokent New Member

19Lyds, I found info on various manufacturing errors online but didnt see this. As it looks to be the same material as the rest of the coin (silver) and is somewhat symmetrical and sticks up rather than a cut or gouge with missing metal that I would normally associate with damage so I figured it was original.

8. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Are there 2 punch marks on the reverse? Plus, if it was used in jewelry, it could be silver solder that was used to attach it, and that would have a similar appearance to the silver dime.

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Definitely not a mint error. As someone else said, was a jewelry piece. I would be tickled to have gotten the silver for a dime.

10. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Agree with cuff link or some such similar DIY jewelry attempt. You are seeing what remains of the silver solder after the pin back broke off.

11. klimokent

klimokent New Member

No punch marks on the back, silver solder would make sense - Thanks guys!!

12. Yeah, it looks like it used to be jewelry.

Draft saved Draft deleted