Newbie and need help with SGS , Star Grading Service, Larry Bence , Abon.com

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rick-Mira, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

Sorry this has to be my first post but I'm hoping the good people here would help me with a petition against Abon Enterprises SGS and or Larry Bense all one in the same ?

I recently got ripped off by them on Ebay And Amazon now I believe Ebay and Amazon will help me the best they can
    But the power of speech will help more
    They sold me a complete UN CIRCULATED ?? set of
    Franklin's
    Ike's
    Susan B Anthony's
    1964 to date Kennedy's
    and there all junk
    most worth face value only and the rest worth scrap

I had no idea how bad these people were until now and almost 1000 dollars later
    to them, un-circulated are acid dipped scraped up bag marked coins

If you have been taken by these "Crooks?" please post it here and leave your opinions

I appreciate any help you can give
    My intentions are to forward opinions to Ebay and Amazon so they can see who they have representing them

Thank You in advance
    Rick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

A lot of us here are no strangers to the work of Abon and the "SGS" grading system. However, I am not sure something can be done about it. Collectors really need to educate themselves and learn to buy the coins and not the 'slabs'. You are going to have a tough road ahead of you. Especially since grading is subjective. Know what I mean? If they aren't selling counterfits, then it's really a personal opinion on the grade.

edit. He is by far not the only one whos does this. There are many many many sellers on ebay especially that knowingly sell doctored, artificially toned, and generally terrible coins.

I am not trying to be hard on you, but ultimately the decision was yours to purchase the coins. A lesson learned for sure.

Also, welcome to CT!

5. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Rick, a search in this very forum will come back with a ton of discussion on the topic. It's been gone over more than once and I'm assuming that's why nobody has chimed in.

6. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

I understand that 100% and if you look at that feedback it says to Google three words Abon , SGS , Larry
    guess what shows up ? A lot of separate discussions on here that's how I found you ..
    Not only are the slab coins beat
    now they sell un-circulated sets .. something new and let me tell you they are FAR from un-circulated
    must be what they consider less then MS-70
    I might be fairly new to collecting but know I have seen nicer coins found in change from any store that's been "in circulation"
    I wouldn't mind posting pictures of these crappy coins ............

Oh , Just figured A fairly new dated conversation might help my cause
    If you got a moment it certainly can't hurt .. Right?

Thanks to all that try to help the cause :)
    hopefully it will help all others that have been or could be burned by these -- ah hem "Coin Dealers"

Rick

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I'd like to also point out to be careful on your endeavors as he likes to file lawsuits. They are part of the reason you can only list the 4 major TPG on ebay. Ebay and Amazon won't do anything because they get their money thats what important to them.
    Sorry to hear you got taken but LEARN from your experience. Don't take the opinion of a grade on a piece of plastic. If you truly like numismatics then study and make your own opinion on what the grade is on a coin that you like. Even the top for get it wrong. If you find something you like and are unsure ask. There are many here that will be more that willing to help out and give and opinion. Remember the grade on the plastic is an opinion and not necessarily an accurate one.

8. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

Forgot to say ......... Thanks for the Welcome Aboard ! :) good to be here

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I really wish there was a sticky thread on this forum where we could list known sellers like him and others with their doctoring. Oh well. Anyway here is a great place to check on a seller before you buy anything. This one links directly to abon.
    http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=aboncom&Dirn=Received+by

10. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

even as a newbie I wouldn't buy Slabbed coins unless I knew what they were
    A 2000.00 coin for 100.00 is a no brainer
    What I bought were pictured and described sets that were far from what they were stated
    opinion on condition is one thing but I'm talking a UNC coin sets with more dings then my 1989 S10 work truck

11. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Well Rick, this is why we shouldn't be buying slabs from 'basement' graders. You know? Stick with the big guns, PCGS, NGC and ANACS. lol @ "more dings then my 1989 S10 work truck"

12. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

gbroke ,, if only I was kidding LOL ... that above link is great might ad that to my review on Amazon .. :)

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Rick, I'm sorry that you had to find this site due to unfortunate circumstances, but welcome to the neighborhood just the same.

Please be careful what you say because you could be sued for slander.

Curiously, did you contact them to see about returning your purchases? Many years ago, before I knew better, I purchased a so-called PF70 from them and was very disappointed, but when I contacted them, they agreed to a refund immediately.

Chris

14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not sure when you bought these coins, but eBay has a 45 day return policy regardless of what the seller says. You don't like them, return them and you get your money back including shipping (but not the return shipping). You must return them with delivery confirmation (signature confirmation if over $250). It does work and they do pay. Not only that, but it gets eBay's attention and aboncom's attention. It actually costs both of them money.

15. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

I use no slanderous words .. I simply suggest looking them up and seeing for yourself what you find
    Nothing wrong with suggesting to others to do a little research , there own wrong doings will speak for themselves
    I'm not one for talking trash but more than happy to help out my fellow man . /women in some cases :)

Ebay did work something about return for reimbursement
    I now want them to cover return shipping ,, they are the ones who sold me items
    not as described and pictured .. I think some might call that committing fraud but I myself wouldn't know that for sure
    I will have to ask the right people on something like that

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Grading is subjective. Just like Mickey D's has the best and healthiest burgers out there. I doubt seriously you could get anywhere on that account. If you can prove that they pictured different coins, you win, but I will bet they did not picture the wrong coin. If I were you, I would take what you can get now because you might lose the rest fighting for pennies on the dollar.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Sorry to hear of your woes Rick but you took the right step by coming here to this site. Any questions you may have, even seemingly stupid ones, can be answered on this site by friendly knowledgable people. The stupidest question is the one that's never asked.

Now, next time you want to take a trip to the "Bay" do a little investigating. That bugger you're mentioning has 60 "negs" in the last year, 7 alone in the last month, and while negitive feedback isn't a true indicator of a sellers reputation, that many bad marks should cetainly send up a red flag. I know you'll be more carefull in the future and welcome to the forum dear fellow.....:)

18. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

I hear ya on that .. as important as money is , I'm a little bent on getting lied to
    maybe I should just take what I can get and call it a day ?
    This is more then a grading disagreement
    I paid for uncirculated coins looked at pictures carefully read description fully
    Bought and paid for them via a contract agreement but was sent something that didn't even look close

I dunno might just see if I can get them to send me what I paid for as agreed in the first place ..
    Can you say Stubborn ? ")

19. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

I added up the negative and neutrals in the last 12 months ... that averages one unhappy customer every three days ... should have told me something

20. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

"Uncirculated" does not mean free of dings and bag marks. An MS-60 or MS-61 coin is an uncirculated coin with a ton of bag marks. It sounds like the coins Abon sold you may be MS-60 or MS-61.

21. Rick-Mira

Rick-Mira New Member

but what about the ones that appear to have been tarn/x'd can still see crud around the dates and no sheen left on the coins ?

Draft saved Draft deleted