Newbee Here- I would appreciate your thoughts on this error penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Borrowed Time And Money, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Hi everyone,
    Opinions please: I attached my 1984 penny image so you can see the error. It is the letter "Y" that is overlapping or touching the letter "T" on the word "Liberty".
    Its obviously used and in average + condition for an 1984 penny, could be worse.

So I am just starting to collect coins and having fun hunting so far. I have quite a few various small change coins with what I think are good error coins like this. One question is, when we find something like this on 30 to 50 year old coins, what do most people do? Do we just hold on to them until we have something worth getting graded, sell a dozen to a dealer at a time? Etc.

Thank you in advance for your opinions, advice and replies.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Copper plated zinc Cent.. Probably a plating issue. Small bubble. Not really considered an error.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

These cents are mostly a dime a dozen. There isn't a market for them, you can hold on to it as a reference to the problems the mint was having in the early eighty's, or spend it for face value.

5. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

As stated not an error coin but since you're getting started if you like it keep it and when you find a better one replace it. Welcome to coin talk
    Dave

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you look carefully at the 'Y' in the photo, it appears there was contact with something hard sometime that moved the thin copper shell over to the left. I can see a discolored streak that passes over the area. Al of the other posts here I agree with also. Welcome! Jim

longshot likes this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yogi? Is that you?

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Was there a member here named Yogi?

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Last I heard, he said nobody ever comes here anymore, it's too crowded.

10. I would like to say thank you all very much for the fast and helpful replies. I do have some more questions to ask soon. You all made me feel very comfortable here with a lot of fast tips and help for this Newbee.

Thanks again :)

Draft saved Draft deleted