New York International January 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Terence Cheesman, Dec 31, 2019.

1. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Nobody buy anything good until I get there, k... thx

Nicholas Molinari and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Will go for the last day. Driving from Boston, anyone wants to join?

4. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Got to Hang out with @paddyman98 for a bit and pick up a couple of coins. I’ll post them later when I get home.

Paddyman has a better selfie of us than I do, I’ll let him post it.

I could have stayed there all day but I wanted to get out of dodge before the storm hit.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes.. Sure!
    20200118_120349.jpg

Shea19, Ryro, TIF and 8 others like this.
  6. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Maybe next year!

panzerman likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I wanted to go and I live 45 minutes away, but I just couldn't free up enough time. Sorry, guys !

I'm surprised that the FUN and Baltimore/Whitman folks have a 2nd show each during the year, a bit smaller I believe than their January/November gatherings, but still pretty decent sizes.

I may try and hit The Whitman Baltimore (March ?) and maybe FUN II (June) for 1 day each. If anybody is a definite for those, keep me posted as the dates approach.

8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have met many CT over the last two days. However the giving out of buttons is a first time effort for me. I will leave a few at the table of Martina Dieterle. She is in the second row next to the CNG end of the room, She is near NAC and Nomos. If you cannot find me, this is an alternate site to get a button. So just ID yourself to her and she will give you one. Happy hunting

9. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Been here NYC since Thursday, will be flying home tomorrow. Had a wonderful time seeing a lot of my dealer friends most I've know for over twenty years. I purchased some really fun stuff of the Byzantine variety. Sorry, I don't have any photo's yet but I'll work on that when I got home.

I'm a founding member of the ADBC, a Byzantine Coin club founded at the ANA National Money Show held in Portland, Oregon in 1998. We have our semi-annual
    meeting at this show, as well at the Summer ANA show each year. We have about 30 members.

The meeting guest speaker gave a forty-minute talk. The subject was Byzantine scyphate coinage. Why that coinage arose as well as how the minting processed worked. I had heard him before on the same subject and he has expanded on the subject over the years. It was fantastic and very well attended. I'll try to update with info on the group when I get home and unwind a bit.

By the way, the term scyphate comes from the Greek work for a drinking cup called a "schyphus". My Greek is non existent so I Anglicised it.

Attached Files:

10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I had a really great time at NYINC. After my last post I added two more coins (both bronzes) and spent a while walking the bourse, talking to dealers and meeting up with friends. I had the pleasure of meeting AncientJoe in person as well as our favorite outbidder Clio. I tried to make sure to look at every Roman Republic or Imperatorial coin at the bourse whether or not I could afford them which culminated in this at the Berk table(Aaron bid on and won it for a client):
    IMG_20200117_174350~2.jpg
    IMG_20200117_174400~2.jpg

I very nearly went home with another Abafil case but I just couldn't convince myself it would fit in my luggage, and I'd spent plenty of money by then anyways. At any rate, NYINC was a whole lot of fun. It was great getting to meet many new people and visit with many friends made when I last visited in 2018. I'm really looking forward to the next time I can make it out and hoping I can stay a few more days next time.

11. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I made the short trip up from Brooklyn on Saturday and had a great time at the show. I unfortunately had to leave a little earlier than expected, so I didn't get to meet too many of you, but I was happy to get to meet Terence Cheesman (and see his fantastic additions from this show). I also got to chat with the famous "BCD" for a few minutes, which was great.

The highlight of the day for me was when the folks at Harlan J. Berk's table were nice enough to let me hold the Eid Mar denarius...just spectacular. I really wish I had taken a picture, but I was just totally in awe. I never imagined I'd ever get to hold one of those in my hand. I also ended up buying a nice denarius of young Severus Alexander from Berk, which was probably my favorite purchase of the show.

As always, it was a lot of fun to get to hold a lot of high-end coins that are waaay out of my price range...that alone is worth the price of admission to me. I was pleasantly surprised at what a great variety was available this year, there really was something for everyone at the show.

I ended up buying a few nice 3rd Century Romans, including a Sev. Alexander denarius, and ants of Otacilia Severa, Herennia Etruscilla, and Tacitus. Very happy with all of these. I took a quick picture below, but I'll eventually take better photos and do a full write up on these. Happy to hear everyone had a great time, and I hope to meet more of you at next year's show!

33778BBE-82A5-4A44-AC6A-8B4B9275FFF5.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  12. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

It was cold in New York but had a great time at my first NY International show. Only met a couple of CTers there, @Terence Cheesman and @rrdenarius although obviously there were quite a few others. The three of us talked about Cointalk and other ancient coin topics and they both were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. It was great to meet both of you.

I'll throw in one of the pick bin coins I found at the show. Hadn't seen this variety:

Maximianus Ae antoninianus:
    Obv: IMP C MAXIMIANVS P F AVG; Radiate, helmeted and cuirassed bust of Maximianus right
    Rev: VIRTVTI AVGG, Hercules standing right, strangling the Nemean lion; behind, his club upon which Victory standing right, crowning him with wreath
    Maximimianus Hercules Ae.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted