New York International January 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Terence Cheesman, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I must have mixed up something in the search then—my wife said the same thing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Nick - I've got a roundtrip for $110. Northeast Regional.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

True.. But I have been able to find a few Mint Errors.
    Such as this one from one of the dealers that I then had attributed at the NGC table.
    Capture+_2019-04-11-12-31-07~2.png

frankjg likes this.
  5. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Welcome to the ancients board.
    Like off-centre coins?
    We have what you are looking for :)

6. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

I should add that “overpriced” isba relative term. With only one or two exceptions I have never regretted buying a coin no matter how much I spend. Still I wish I knew why the coins I happen to be interested at these coin shows are always priced so darn high. That is a bit if an exaggeration - the older I get the more I appreciate coins that are not simply high grade - I now look for something interesting about the coin and if it’s worn that’s almost a positive since it allows me to afford it.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have never understood the degree to which wear is found to be unacceptable when compared to other things that can be wrong with a coin. Top on this list are coins off center or poorly struck so they can only be identified by die matching. Next are coins of poor style but high grade which tend to sell above those with fine style but worn. Years ago there was a seller I believed must be going out of his way to buy at a discount poor style coins in European sales and sell them in the US where high grade was more important. Finally there is the matter of very rare reverses which only come in very high grade so I must compete with people who only want a portrait example. I regret it when there are few known of a coin but all are EF more than when the best is just fine. I will never have an Eastern (not Indian) aureus of Septimius Severus for this reason.

Marsyas Mike, PeteB, TIF and 2 others like this.
  8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Okay I am here in NYC and have given away two of my buttons. Generally got creamed at the auctions so far.:banghead: Put together a list of 25 got none:dead:. I got three coins that I liked after I was able to view them while at the auction., pics to follow when I get them home. Talked to Clio. He noted he got out bid on some coins.:eek: Already paid my "stupidity tax" ( the early bird fee). Despite everything I am still having a good time, I am looking forward to buying some coins on the floor. Hope to see some of you at the show.

9. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

What's the world coming to?! Unbelievable.

10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I believe the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle is downtown at the NY Fed.

11. GoldFinger1969

Are CT'ers getting together at the show ? Afterwards for dinner ?

I would be up for some great Chinese at Grand Sichuan over at 9th and 24th.

Let me know, I'm recuperating from FUN :Dbut would make the effort to come into the NYC (I'm in the suburbs).

12. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

what day? I should be available.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. GoldFinger1969

I can go Thurs, Friday, or Saturday.

14. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Those of you who are there, let me know if you see many ancient Chinese coins. If possible, let me know the dealer’s name so I might follow-up with them. :) I unfortunatley cannot go :(

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  15. GoldFinger1969

I took the train down to FUN from NY....22 hours or so.

Theodosius likes this.
  16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

First day at the show was very good. Ran into Ancient Joe, A. McCabe, RR Collector and one other. Show made up for really lousy days at the auctions. Bought some really nice coins. Bought a few too many books. Oooops. Best part meeting and talking to so many great people being able to look at some many thousands of coins some of which are really exceptional .

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  17. GoldFinger1969

I've just been swamped, trying desperately to free up a few hours to scoot into NYC and see the show.

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Terence Cheesman
    I plan to be there tomorrow Saturday. 11am.
    Will you have that neat button to give away?

Anyone else for Saturday?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  19. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I won't be coming anymore. I did finish my degree, but I have found a huge load of work needs to be done to tie all the knots down before I start working. Have fun guys! Can't wait to see what you all find. :)

20. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I got in last night and have spent a few hours at the bourse this morning. So far I've bought 4 coins, a coin cookie and a book. The bronzes and the book were from collector-to-collector deals and the silver denarius of L Thorius Balbus bought from CNG stock. The Eid Mar cookie was from Agora Auctions, made by Alfred's wife who does this for a living. They've got a few different designs but I of course had to get the Eid Mar
    MVIMG_20200117_142453~2.jpg
    IMG_20200117_142529~2.jpg
    EidMarComb.jpg
    IMG_20200117_142707~2.jpg

Fugio1, Marsyas Mike, Shea19 and 18 others like this.
  21. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I should be there around the same time. May have family in tow.

GoldFinger1969 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted