New York International January 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Terence Cheesman, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

I’d love to go but with my heavy-duty criminal record they won’t let me cross the US borders...

paddyman98, Ryro and Orange Julius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Train from Providence to New York is $73 one way, so I would be better off driving! I thought trains were inexpensive.

4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I wish I had cool friends who would make the drive with me but they’d all rather go to a bar and watch sports. Not that there’s anything wrong with bars and sports, but sometimes a little change is good!

5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I've never gone and have never done anything in foreign or ancient coins (except bullions) but I thought I might stop by for 1 day after I get back from FUN. Figure I can do some work in NYC and kill 2 birds with one stone.

I'd love to hook up with any NYC local CT members or OOS folks coming in for the show.

If anybody is organizing a dinner or lunch, count me in.

6. GoldFinger1969

How many tables is this show ?

7. GoldFinger1969

Count me in !! :D

8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

That's crazy. I would've thought the train inexpensive as well. My flight from denver was just over $175 all in and wasn't even the cheapest option.

Carthago and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  9. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Seriously? Man that’s a total downer! Def not into any of that. I’m so glad I posted what I did.

10. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

You never know, if you are close by you should check it out. You may be tempted to the dark side. :)

11. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I am just about ready to go. I am bringing about 25 badges so that any CT r who wants one can have one. See everyone there.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really wish the Coin Talk management could do something to inform people who click in from the 'Recent Topics' list that they are posting in the Ancient Section and their modern coins and modern ideas will fall on deaf ears. I know some are trying to save us from the evils of coin cleaning and buying raw coins but I fear many are like Tusky Ranger and had no idea they were where they were. I last visited NYC before they built the World Trade Center and usually took the bus from Eatontown NJ which then was cheaper than tolls and parking. $73 seems high but I suspect it might still be cheaper unless you know where to park. Back then, there were wonderful places to eat for almost no money but they were not located in hotels. Has this changed?

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  13. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

In general, New York is more expensive than ever.

There are still decent places to get food, relatively cheaply. Weird example is the falafel place in the basement of Grand Central Terminal, fantastic, and you can chase it down with an incredible (and expensive) donut from the donut plant. I don’t typically condone eating in GCT (giant rats) but I’ll make those two exceptions.

I don’t know how much a bus ticket is, but, driving in from about 1.5hrs North runs me about $75 for gas, parking, and tolls. (cheaper if I get early bird parking when going to the office).

if you are contemplating it, I hope you make the trip in.

Ed Snible likes this.
  15. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Well, you just sold your house, right?

Carthago likes this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'd need to have and sell a few houses to afford that stunning coin :D.

TypeCoin971793 and Volodya like this.
  17. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Just got back from NYINC auction previews.

At the CNG preview, a dealer that some of you will know sat to my right and inspected the Eid Mar denarius.

To my left sat YouTube star Ilya Zlobin, better known to some of you as highrating_lowprice, inspecting possible future wares. He seemed surprised that I knew about his YouTube videos.

For lunch I went a couple of blocks away and had Xian-style (Western Chinese) spicy lamb noodles at Xian Famous Foods for $12.

Many great coins are available.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  18. Blake Davis

Blake Davis Well-Known Member

I got tired of looking at coins I could not afford to buy and overpriced coins that should be I n my price range. In the days when there were pick out pots at these things there was a chance of finding something interesting and affordable. But that hasn’t been the case - for me anyway - in years.

Also almost every coin I would be interested in is online.

Still it was nice looking at some of the fabulous and unaffordable coins. Maybe next year!

Theodosius and panzerman like this.
  19. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

It would be incredible to attend, just to see all those coins close up and meet so many serious collectors in one place...

Blake Davis likes this.
  20. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Not really, in my experience. It costs 27 dollars one way to get from San Diego to Los Angeles.

Gas, at $4/gallon and 25 mpg, is about $19 in gas.

The main benefit of the train is that instead of sitting in traffic for 4 hours, you get to enjoy the view, move around, work, study, read, what have you.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  21. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Well I made it. The weather is really great compared to the minus 30 C that I left I just had time to look at some of the coins I was most interested in. Most of them looked really good and I hope I can snag one or two ( or three or more) Tuesday I will look again at the coins see if I can find some sleepers and talk to more of the people that lurk around . It is very likely that I will run into a dealer (no names) who usually has something I will really like.Even though I have already bought coin in the last Roma auction. Tomorrow may be the first I will own in hand this year. Hope to see some of you. I will have my CT button on and again come over say hi and get one

Blake Davis and akeady like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted