New York International January 2020

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Terence Cheesman, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Archilochus

Archilochus Active Member

In case you need any encouragement to tip you over the edge: do it. It's an experience you'll never regret. I recommend what @Nicholas Molinari suggested: fly down and back within a day, so you can spend the money on coins instead of hotels & meals!

What was your thesis? Something coins/history-related?

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

A great idea, I'll probably stick around for the weekend to also visit the city. It'll be my first time in NYC.

My thesis is electronics related. Defense is in 9 days. :)

4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

It's definitely worth sticking around to visit. When I went in 2018 it was my first time in NYC so I spent half a day at the Met, walking there and back to see all the things along the way. There is a ton of interesting stuff within walking distance of the conference hotel.

5. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I’ll be there again too, looking forward to it...hope to see some of you there.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Good luck, and congratulations! :)

Caesar_Augustus and red_spork like this.
  7. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

The Met is fantastic whether you've visited before or not, and there are usually coins on display in several of the themes throughout the Museum.
    There is also Broadway. We have tickets for a play on Saturday night.

red_spork likes this.
  8. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

One of the things I really like about this show is that I can examine really priceless coins under my magnifying glass. The first time I went to this show I saw this coin or one very much like it. 446709.jpg Entella Tetradrachm CNG Sold for $225,000 Just for the record this is NOT my coin. I have always admired this type ever since I saw one in an old NFA Auction. There is nothing like looking at a truly magnificent coin up close even if it is for a short time. I saw so many others. Among the various dealers I realized that I could put together a complete denomination set in gold and silver of the emperor Constans. Amazing.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That is one of my ultimate dream coins :).

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Of course I would like to go...
    Even though I've visited New York on several occasions, it's never been at the right time for the show. Next time maybe ?

Q

11. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

And the American Numismatic Society is in NYC, which has one of the finest coin collections and numismatic libraries in the world. Appointment suggested.

12. Carthago

.. Sorry for additional posts. Internet bounce posted multiple times.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  13. Carthago

14. Carthago

15. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I'll be there - I'll look out for the buttons. It'll be my fourth visit to NYINC in the last five years - this year, I'll be on my own and it'll be short - over on Friday morning, back Sunday evening - should be in Dublin Airport at 7AM Monday morning and straight to work :D I'll get in a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge for a pizza in Juliana's, a trip to Strand Books and a wander around to take some photos, maybe some touristy thing I haven't done already. And of course meet some fellow collectors and have a browse through the bourse - should be a good weekend, I'm looking forward to it!

ATB,
    Aidan.

16. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

I will be in NY Wednesday - Sunday walking the floor or at the NGC table.

Barry Murphy

Ed Snible, Theodosius and rrdenarius like this.
  17. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I'm going! I've never been to a coin show before! Do most dealers accept credit cards, or are checks/cash the way to go? Is there an admission fee? I'm actually pretty excited, and not just about the coins but to just get away for a couple days. Anyone have any advice, helpful hints? I have a list of coins I'm going to be looking for and have been researching different sources for current pricing/values. Cheers!

GoldFinger1969 and Archilochus like this.
  18. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Cash is king. Some dealers will accept card or PayPal but if you've got cash you're more likely to get a good deal. Also the street food vendors outside the hotel generally only accept cash, so if you're into that, bring a little extra.

There is an admission fee of $20, which gets you a pass for Friday-Sunday but you can print a $5 discount on their website.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing what you find.

panzerman likes this.
  19. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Also, I noticed your posts are mainly about moderns and US coins. This show is strictly ancients and some world coins/currency. No US or modern stuff. Just so you aren’t surprised if you are looking for something specific.

red_spork likes this.
  20. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

The Met is worth visiting. They had plenty of Roman and Greek stuff (statues, coins, etc.). My favorite, the 3 Graces statue.
    Julia Domna 3 graces rev.jpg MET 3 graces.jpg

21. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I'll be there. Haven't been since 2009. I guess it's about time.

Draft saved Draft deleted