New York & East Tennessee Iron Co Collection grew by 1

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by USS656, Jul 30, 2014.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

This collection hasn't seen any activity for a while but a $1 note turned up on eBay and I snatched it up. :D This started with a generous gift from RickieB when he had sent almost all of his fractionals off to Heritage. He sent me a gift of a .25 cent NY&ET Iron Co. note. I still have the card and note from him that came with it and very much appreciated the very thoughtful gesture!

From the moment I received the gift, I have been trying to put together a complete set. I believe the only note I am missing is a $10 note. I have not seen one but have seen a reference to it. I would also like a better example of the .50 cent note but anything above .25 cents is extremely hard to find.

The $1 I had is in nice condition and has a ink stamp on the reverse from a old bank. I was able to enhance the mark from the 1st note (see photo below). As it turns out the new note also has a stamp on the reverse. This new one may be too light to do the same image manipulation. I also attached a photos of the collection. :)

Hope you enjoy.

Best Regards ~ Darryl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alurid, 50011005, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Darryl:

What you have done with this collection is far more than what I could have! Simply wonderful job and a spectacular group of notes!

Well done Sir!

Kind regards,

RickieB

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I myself like the postbellum obsoletes very much - they have amazing vignettes, were usually well printed and are way off the map collecting wise. The NY and ET notes are a very lovely example of this collecting genre. The overprinted stamp with the National Bank gives it that much more interest.

USS656 and Peter T Davis like this.
  5. USS656

I so agree, thank you!

6. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Wow, very nice. ;)
    Why is it that some of the notes are cut?

7. USS656

That is how they were canceled.

8. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Looks like trimming off the signature was the standard canceling method. At least they were artful about it. ;-) Nice collection, Darryl!

USS656 likes this.
  9. USS656

Thank You, I agree, it could have been much worse.

10. mike hayes

mike hayes New Member

I am a resident of Greene Co. Tn. where the "Pottsdale Furnace " was located. My 8th Great Grandfather worked there and I would like to have one of the Store Notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not a collector.

11. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They are not that uncommon and can be found in some of the more reputable dealer's websites.

Denly's of Boston
    Heritage Auctions
    Lyn Knight Auctions
    Don C. Kelly

Are some of the most likely to have one of these or be able to find one.

12. USS656

You can find the smaller fractional notes on ebay often. Set up a search and you will see them every couple months for about $50. The notes in dollar amounts are somewhat rare and can cost a bit.

13. USS656

1 more added today. :) Felt like I practically stole this from Matt (LostDutchman)-(sorry) on eBay and of course they had it to me super quick so it made my day to see it on my desk when I got home. Another nice addition to the group. I need a better .50 cent note and I think there is a $10 out there somewhere.

[​IMG]

Jwt708 likes this.
  14. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Nice one, Darryl! Best $1 note yet, with the least intrusion from the cut cancel.

USS656 likes this.
  15. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

You know, Darryl, I made a note of your needing a $10 example of this series awhile back when you first mentioned it. When I look through currency for my own collection I also check the TN pieces the dealer may have for an example. No luck yet, but I always have an eye out for one. Some day you'll stumble onto one. Good luck!

Bruce

USS656 likes this.
  16. USS656

Thanks Greg, I was glad to get it

17. USS656

Thank you Bruce, hopefully some day one will turn up.

18. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I just saw this thread - great group of notes!
    Let us know when you find that $10!

USS656 likes this.
  19. BRandM

Just thought of something after I'd posted yesterday, Darryl. I have a good friend who lives in Tennessee and is heavily into collecting tokens from his home state. He also does obsoletes, but mostly from New York I believe. In any case, he keeps in touch with a number of dealers who look out for things that interest him. He also attends a lot of regional and local shows so may have some luck in finding a $10 note for you. I'll send an email to him later today. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Bruce

USS656 and gsalexan like this.
  20. USS656

Well, 4 years and 2 months later I found a better example of the .50 cent note. Glad to add it to the collection and now I will be looking for that elusive $10 note. It was surprising this had the activity it did on eBay. The smaller fractionals are on all the time so I suspect these draw the attention to the larger notes when they happen to appear. After all of this time, there was no way I was losing this auction. :D

20190727_085508.jpg 20190727_085538.jpg

Legomaster1 likes this.
  21. BRandM

I remember you looking for that note, Darryl. I told you at the time that I'd keep an eye out for one and I have. Unfortunately, I haven't run into any. Maybe the next show.:)

Bruce

USS656 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted