New Years Resolution Note for 2010

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RickieB, Jan 1, 2010.

1. krispy

krispy krispy

My 2010 resolution was to buy a copy of The Story of American Bank Note Company by William H. Griffiths, which I have already procured and just received today.

Beyond that I intend to study more in depth about currency as it has always been an aspect of numismatics I have neglected. Seeing everyone's great collections of notes here on CT is really inspirational. I am looking for features in the design of security engraving that appeals to me rather than trying to 'collect' a full series. Paper is such a broad field so at this time I am keeping my focus on US Notes, nothing too fancy nor too pricey. I am aware of the wonders of colorful world currency and may eventually expand my interests at a later date, perhaps for next year's resolution. ;)

So, here are my first two notes purchased under my 2010 currency resolution. These notes are also my first ever graded examples of currency. I selected to start with silver certificates because they are the first type of notes I was aware were different than modern notes when I was beginning to pay attention to numismatics. I chose the $5 SC notes since they don't seem to have such steep premiums, are readily available and with 2009/2010 being big Lincoln years in the coin and commemorative community, it seemed to make sense.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Congrats Krispy!!

Welcome to Paper Money..

Great choice for the first part of your collection...
    Those Series 1934D "Narrow" varieties are quite difficult..and the Stars..well harder as well.
    Hope you complete your goal..I look forward to your post's.

RickieB

4. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

i'd like to finish my my Hawaii notes, see if i can find better grades for my North Africa notes. get a 1966 red seal $100. Finish my gold notes, atleast try to.

5. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

Rickie: The FR-164 is an absolutley gorgeous artistic note, and evidently very expensive . . . I did see one of those about 10 days ago. It had an $8000 price tag on it. Might this newer note be more expensive? What might a note like this, with this S/N go for?

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

SirCharlie..

You are correct..the note in XF 40+ will run close to $8K.
    It is a goal note for me..I just saw one in AU55 for 12.8K that I fell in love with..

The Red Seal Series 1966 Legal Tender Nots in Gem Grade can run from 1to 1.5K...If you are a SN collector, expect topay a premium for lower SN's..how much? Well that is up to the buyer and seller of course. The Number 1 SN note will always carry a very heavy premium.

I own these notes in a 66 and a 65..

RickieB

7. MoneyHungry

MoneyHungry angel in a earth suit

I'am thinking about buying 8 female pigs and 8 male deer: so I can have 16 sows and bucks

8. fiftypee

fiftypee Member

My resolutions are as follows...

1. Only collect junk historical coins that I can give as gifts this year.
    2. To realize that I can't collect every 5 Franc French Aluminum coin on the planet.
    :)

9. Art

Art Numismatist?

I'm not really a note collector the way most of you guys are. I do put away things that I come across that I like. Missed a nice low serial number $5 star note yesterday. It was in the register and the manager scooped it up and sent it off to the bank before I could get it.

BUT for 2010. I'm going to find at least one keeper US note per month. I've been going through some stacks I've gotten from the bank. And I want to add a few MPCs to my very small very circulated collection. Like to start with Pablo -- $1 Series 692.

Draft saved Draft deleted