New Year Resolution Coin - Diadumenian Hermes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Jan 2, 2021.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

For my 2021 resolution, I decided that I would stop buying coins "just to buy coins." Rather, I wanted to start spending a bit more on coins that I actually am drawn to for one reason or another. I'm absolutely still a bargain hunter and try not to spend more than $20 on any one coin. However, sometimes you find a coin that you REALLY want, for ANY price.

I found that in this AE27 of Diadumenian from Nikopolis, Moushmov 1367.
    IMG_E8566.JPG

I was incredibly drawn to the beautiful reverse type of Hermes leaning on a rock. This must have been a popular bronze statue type, as this Hermes seems to pop up every now and again.
    This coin cost an astounding $52, which may be a bit much, especially considering the very unfortunate roughness on the obverse. However, the reverse more than makes up for it and I think it was worth every penny. The stunning forest-green patina is very intact and beautiful (except on the front...)
    There is a rather similar extant statue type of Hermes fastening his sandal based on an original by the school of Lysippos.
    u-g-POW0QO0.jpg
    The similarities lead me to believe that the sandal-tyer is either a contemporary version of the Hermes with caduceus statue, or that it was a later Roman modification of this popular statuary type.

In fact, I have two others that feature similar poses:
    Caracalla Paris 264 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

Caracalla from Alexandria Troas. This features Apollo leaning on a cippus instead of a rock, and holding branch instead of Caduceus. However, its obviously the same sculptural type.
    IMG_E8543.JPG
    This appears to be Severus Alexander, but could also be Caracalla (still not sure).
    This has the exact same Hermes pose as the Diadumenian, just in much worse condition.

Please show off your first coins of the years, any leaning figures, or anything else you feel like.

Egry, Justin Lee, Finn235 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Your unidentified coin is Diadumenians father Macrinus.

Here is my Hermes Struck for Macrinus

Sillyon, Pamphylia
    Hermes seated on rocks, holding purse & caduceus ( check the winged boots )

211556.l[1].jpg

DonnaML, TIF, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Gordian III used the type at Nicopolis.

po2060b02363lg.jpg

DonnaML, tenbobbit, TIF and 2 others like this.
  5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Another Hermes reverse:
    PhilipIIMarcianopolisHermes.jpg
    Philip II. As Caesar, 244-247 AD. Æ Pentassarion. MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis. Æ (27mm, 13.79 gm, 2h). Prastinus Messalinus, legatus consularis. Obv: Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip II right, facing draped bust of Sarapis left, wearing calathus. Rev: Hermes leaning to left, with right foot on ram’s head, looking right, drapery on knee; and tortoise, left below, incorrectly described as an overturned jug by Varbanov, and others, with E (mark of value) and caduceus leaning on a tree stump to right. H&J 6.44.10.3 (R5); Varbanov 2107 (R5); AMNG I, 1209.
    The identification as a tortoise and not an overturned jug is quite clear, not only from the sharpness of this image, but mythology tells us that Hermes created the first lyre by using a string tied over a tortoise shell.

6. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Wow!!! I didn’t know Hermès tying sandal reverses were out there. Lovely

Draft saved Draft deleted