New Trajan Tetradrachm - Nero tet too

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rexesq, Feb 26, 2011.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

I really like this one, and got a good price for it, the bust isn't in the best of shape, but still quite nice I think.... I really like the Eagle, I always liked the closed wing eagles on Roman Alexandria tets, reminiscent of the Ptolemaic style. I have a Nero Alexandria Tet with an eagle w/ Simpulum reverse, which I always liked... the eagle on that one looks a bit like a tyrannosaurus rex though heh. I will post more photos of the trajan when I get a chance, but I just thought I would share, and see what you guys think.

----
    Trajan Regnal Year 5 (101/ 102 AD) Tetradrachm from Alexandria, Egypt
    obv: Laureate head right.
    rev: Eagle standing facing right; L E (date) across field.
    ----

Sorry about the discoloration on the last reverse shot of the Nero pics.... but what do you guys think? also, the Trajan one.... I assume this is a fairly common type? I don't know my Alexandrian tets as well as my Syrian ones.
    It seems the Nero ones with the simpulum in the field seem less common, or at least it seems that way to me.... I bought my Nero tet in 2008 for around $30 USD.
    ----
    Nero Alexandria Tetradrachm - AD64/65 - Regnal year 11
    ---------
    NERO Caesar BILLON TETRADRACHM 12.6 gr 23mm

obv: Radiate bust right, wearing aegis.
    rev: Eagle walking left with palm branch in wing, LIA(date) in left field, Simpulum in right field.
    ------
    I like that, despite the wear, you can still see the head of the snake on the Aegis worn by Nero slithering up his neck, the higher quality examples show it much better.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice addition, yeah the eagle looks pretty good. That seems like a sweet deal on the Nero.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great pickup. Look forward to seeing YOUR pics though, lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted