..New Trajan takes it place in the 5(6) 'Good' in silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Apr 20, 2021.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...i noticed the other day i was still posting old pics of my 5(6) gooduns that included a Trajan that now belongs to another great coin peep here..so... this'll do for now.."new & improved" :D

Post your coins n comments peeps! :)

5(6) 'good emperors' in silver 001.JPG 5(6) 'good emperors' in silver 004.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'd love to complete a denarius set of the 5 good'uns.
    That's a great looking Trajan too.

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Nice set! I don't have it in silver, nor do I have all, but my best effort at "some" good emperors:
    Nerva has thus far eluded my bottom-feeding efforts.

Trajan: Syrian drachm
    Trajan AR Drachm Syd Bostra 385.jpeg

Hadrian: poorly electrolyzed sestertius
    IMG_9281.jpeg

Antoninus Pius: Macedonian big boy
    Antoninus Pius AE26 Koinon Macedonia.JPG

Marcus Aurelius: squared off sestertius
    Marcus Aurelius RIC 93-.JPG

5. furryfrog02

ambr0zie, hotwheelsearl and ominus1 like this.
  6. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

My lot of the goodies! THE FIVE GOOD EMPERORS.png

7. furryfrog02

Ok, here are my 5 Good Ones....

Nerva (most I've ever spend on a coin ever!)
    Nerva Denarius.jpg

Trajan (one of my favorite coins of all time)
    Trajan Denarius, 114-117 AD.jpg

Hadrian (beautiful coin IMO but not a denarius)
    Hadrian Semis COS III.jpg

Antoninus Pius (he looks like a zombie IMO)
    Antonius Pius Denarius COS III.jpg

Marcus Aurelius (my first ancient ever purchased...also not a denarius)
    Marcus Aurelius.jpg

8. ominus1

9. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Nerva:
    upload_2021-4-21_9-0-26.png

Trajan:
    upload_2021-4-21_9-3-3.png

Hadrian:
    upload_2021-4-21_9-5-5.png

Antoninus Pius
    upload_2021-4-21_9-26-32.png

Marcus Aurelius:
    upload_2021-4-21_9-27-56.png

And a set in bronze:
    upload_2021-4-21_9-30-52.png
    upload_2021-4-21_9-31-23.png
    upload_2021-4-21_9-32-18.png
    upload_2021-4-21_9-32-57.png
    upload_2021-4-21_9-37-56.png

10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice coins, and your new trajan is a great addition. I really like your MA denarius, with the VIC PAR reverse.
    Here's my digital tray of the good (well, not all of them are good...) emperors:
    Adoptive emperors 3.png

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

[​IMG]
    RI Nerva AE Dupondius 96-98 CE LIBERTAS PVBLICA -pileus TIF

[​IMG]
    RI Trajan CE 98-117 AR Drachm Struck CE 114-116 Arabia Petraea Bostra - Camel SNG ANS 1158

[​IMG]
    RI Hadrian AR Quinarius 1.3g, 14mm Rome, AD 119-122 cuirassed laureate COS III Victory seated wreath palm RIC 108a

[​IMG]
    RI Antoninus Pius 138-161 BCE BI Tet Alexandria Egypt Dikaiosyne Scale

[​IMG]
    RI MARCUS AURELIUS AR Denarius as Caesar TR POT VI COS II - Genius stg at altar hldg standard VF

13. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Lovely coins everyone!..Behind every good man there's always a good women...
    An interesting addition to the Emperors are their wives, three of them being easily reachable with the exception of Plotina...
    THE FIVE.jpg

Ryro, IMP Shogun, chrsmat71 and 10 others like this.
  14. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Yes, getting the lot in bronzes is another great collecting goal! Im working my wat towards that goal slowly, but almost there. Im lacking a sestertius of Aelius, though ons can debate whether he should or should not be part of the set. I like the idea of adding the empresses too, as @Spaniard has done. Great set.

ominus1 and Spaniard like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The five good guys come up here often enough that I wish I had enough examples to show a different one each time but I am particularly weak in Nerva. I have never owned a sestertius of Nerva but have a dupondius all here have seen.
    rc1620bb1715.jpg The denarius is the more recent of my two and shares the handshake motif with the bronze. rc1605nt3484.jpg

For Trajan, my favorites have both been shown here but it seems the types are not popular among other CT members. The AE as shows a club standing on the lion skin of Hercules.
    rc1745fd1302.jpg

The denarius honors his biological father DIVVS PATER TRAIAN. To the best of my knowledge this coin is alone showing an adoptee honoring his biological family.
    rc1707fd1523.jpg

I have more Hadrian coins than the other good guys so picking one was more difficult. These may not be my favorites but they are not in danger of being sent off to market anytime soon. The as shows Hadrian raising a personification of Africa and appealed to me for its clear legends and green patina.
    rc1960bb2291.jpg

This denarius showing Victory spitting into her dress may not have been posted before. The design is better known from its use by Claudius a century earlier.
    rc1920bb0712.jpg

The sestertius of Antoninus Pius is not high grade but shows the heads of two of his grandchildren atop crossed cornucopia. Experts do not all agree on which two they were. Again the type was first used during the Julio-Claudian period.
    rc2145fd2889.jpg

While I tend to avoid coins showing someone 'just standing there', this Pius denarius shows the Senate being honored by Pius after they gave in and deified Hadrian as he requested. GENIO SENATVS
    rc2090bb0421.jpg

Marcus Aurelius is known for several things and has many interesting types. This sestertius shows him raising Italy. RESTITVTORI ITALIAE
    rc2285fd3033.jpg

Finally, my Aurelius denarius for this group shows a captive from the Armenian wars.
    rc2240bb1080.jpg

16. ominus1

..yup!..i'm still a few short but that's a new goal :)

17. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Excellent examples, @dougsmit . I particularly like the Antonius Pius Genio Senatus denarius - never seen this type.

18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I've posted all or most of these before, but never all together, and I thought I'd try that. Even though of course they can't be seen nearly as well or as clearly as individually, it gives an idea. A little better if you click on the photos, although you still can't really see the Marcus Aurelius RESTITUTOR ITALIAE sestertius well, or the two Lucius Veruses. So here are the five good Emperors, plus Lucius Verus. Note the great imbalance in the numbers I have for each -- 1, 5, 12, 6, 4, 2. Perhaps sometime I'll try it with all the empresses I have added in.

ray 6 good emps 4.jpeg

tray 6 good emps 2.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  19. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Here are my 5 good emperors

Attached Files:

20. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Here's the rest of the Emperors

Attached Files:

21. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The two Lucius Veruses and the Marcus Aurelius sestertius didn't really show up at all well in the tray photos -- I'm a bit surprised at how well one can see what most of the others look like -- so here they are again for the sake of completeness. (I already put all the coins back where they belong in their own trays, so I can't just photograph that tray again.)

I think the Imperial and Provincial portraits of Lucius Verus resemble each other much more closely than one usually sees in comparing Imperial and Provincial portraits of a given emperor.

Lucius Verus AR Denarius.jpg

Lucius Verus Didrachm, Cappadocia (Caesarea), Mt. Argaeus rev., LAC.jpg

Marcus Aurelius sestertius jpg version (Marcus Aurelius & Italia on reverse).jpg

Bing, chrsmat71, Spaniard and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted