New Trade Summaries Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Walking Sterling Silver, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

I know some of you guys enjoyed my first trade summary. I got 2 more coming soon. So hold on tight! They will be good ones too! Here's a sneak peak!

Stuff I Get
    1. A New Eisenhower Dollar Dansco Album with Inserts
    2. 2015 Blue Book Price Guide
    3. 1971 Brown/Red Box Proof Ike
    4. A 10X 21mm Jewelers Loupe
    5. 1973-S Raw Ike
    6. Cotton Gloves
    7. Whitman 5 Coin Set Holder
    8. NGC Grading Guide for Modern US Coins
    9. A surprise item that I am not going to tell you what it is until you get it
    10. Your Razz-A-Thon Consolation Prize

Stuff Other Guy Gets
    1. 1 Silver Eagle
    2. 2 Junk Walking Liberty Silver halves
    3. 1 1964D 50c XF-Low Ms
    4. 1 1963D 50c high AU-Mid MS with RPM variety
    5. 1 1922 Silver Ugly Betty Peace Dollar

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If I may be so bold: are you doing these trades because you like/prefer the other person's offerings to your own, or because you're hoping to come out on top in regards to overall "value"? If only about obtaining items you'll enjoy more, that's one thing, but if not I respectfully suggest proceeding with caution.

green18 likes this.
  4. Walking Sterling Silver

Since we know each other very well, he didn't put a lot of money into some of the books. I really needed some books and supplies. And I don't put a lot into supplies. Also got 2 ikes. One I can put into my dansco album

5. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I'm scratching my head on this one. You traded $50 in highly liquid silver (melt value) for a 2015 Blue Book (essentially worthless), cotton gloves (essentially worthless) and other low value items.

6. Walking Sterling Silver

Supplies I don't have yet. Yes. Isn't the overall thing that is that I am happy? I do coins not bullion. I have no interest in silver melt.

7. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

You should have an interest in obtaining fair equity for your junk silver

Everything you received is practically worthless and came out of someones junk drawer. Going forward you should be a bit more selective in trades and try to obtain items of fair and concise value

Tom B likes this.
  8. Walking Sterling Silver

He actually went and paid for some of it. He went on a gigantic spending spree too and got me some stuff for the trade. I know what I am trading for. Everything is brand new!

9. Walking Sterling Silver

Coinaddict1795 said: "I think its a good deal for you. And I proud of you for consolidating your interest. I see $65 worth in your stuff, but your getting all the essentials; books, loupe, gloves, holders, and a dansco plus some coins. Im not sure you could buy all the stuff for $65. Those Dansco albums are $20 at least, plus the loupe $15! I say great deal!!!!"

10. J.A.K.

J.A.K. Foriegn Fanatic

I think you did a good trade if you got stuff you wanted and got rid of stuff you didn't want. We all need to remember it's not always about the money.

11. Walking Sterling Silver

Also I will win my coins back with another trade. Exactly about the money. I love to learn. And I needed the supplies

12. Walking Sterling Silver

Whoops was talking to a guy about price of cherrypickers guide. Nothing to see here

13. BooksB4Coins

Yes, being happy is what's most important, but that doesn't mean you can't be smart AND happy. With all due respect, supposedly having no interest in "bullion" or "silver
    melt" and using that as your reasoning to walk into a poor trade is extremely short sighted; instead of letting yourself get the short end of the stick because you claim not to like/want something, why not wisely use its demand and liquidity to your benefit? Looking at this from the outside, you could have done a lot better, and if this trading partner was unwilling to do just that, it would have been his loss.

As has been mentioned, the gloves are essentially worthless, both in trade value and necessity (you don't need and are better off without them). The NGC grading guide is available used on Amazon for a whopping $0.08 (or $4.07 w/ shipping). The 2015 bluebook, while it may cost a little more than the latter (I didn't bother checking), unless you plan on using it to con

Tom B and fred13 like this.
  14. Walking Sterling Silver

Still goes over $65. The brown ike is in superb condition.

15. Walking Sterling Silver

I could've done better. But I am happy.

16. BooksB4Coins

(Continued - sorry)

Old ladies or chasing after widgets among widgets, the book is worthless as a reference, other than, perhaps, mintages, etc. The loupe, at least as put to us, sounds like a $1 Chinese special. The Dansco, while it might be a nice addition for you, is costing a great deal when looked at in context. T he coins too might be nice additions, but look at what you're really getting; brown Ikes are almost as bad as PR sets from that era in regards to how plentiful they are, and while the 73-S might sound nice, without seeing it, who knows. Please understand that I am only hoping to get you to dig a little deeper before jumping into another trade, especially when giving up highly liquid items for what often represents stagnant inventory and/or dead money; if anything, with such trades, you should end up well ahead instead of in the hole.

Tom B, silentnviolent and fred13 like this.
  17. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

The world would be a scary place if rationality reigned king

18. BooksB4Coins

In real-world sales, without going on a fishing expedition or investing maximum effort to recoup your money, I believe you will find that estimate to be unrealistic, at least based on the very general information you have provided. Again, please understand that I've no bone to pick, but am simply urging you proceed with caution before entering into further trades. The fact is that most all new/young collectors experience a change in tastes, so it would be wise to always keep a keen eye towards what it will cost to get out from underneath whatever you are interested in now.

Tom B likes this.
  19. Walking Sterling Silver

I buy what I can afford

Draft saved Draft deleted