New to the site and have a question...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Don Rupanovic, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Don Rupanovic

Don Rupanovic New Member

Recently browsed the ebay listings for a 2002 sacagawea dollar coin, I found one that sold for $299.00 (it was a 2002 D - uncirculated). Could anyone shed light on this as to "why" it sold for so much? Or could this just have been a random person bidding it up to be a pain in the sellers butt?

Only reason I ask, is I have 10 2002 D's (uncirculated) from an inheritance of a coin collection.

TIA
    Don

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If it was graded MS-68 I could see this as a selling price, though it would be a bit high. This is a condition rarity. The coin itself is very common and not worth much more than face value unless it is in pretty remarkable condition. Welcome to CT.

swamp yankee and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT :)

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. michael rae

michael rae New Member

Was it in a slab?

6. Don Rupanovic

Don Rupanovic New Member

Thanks for the welcome Kirkuleez and Charlietig.

Here are images of the auction in question:

2002dsacfront.JPG 2002dsacrear.JPG

Along with the description:

Product Description
    2002-D Sacagawea Dollar PCGS MS-68 Finest Known Pop 110!
    Date: 2002-D
    Denomination: $1
    Strike Type: Business
    Certification: PCGS
    Grade: MS-68
    Condition: Uncirculated
    Composition: Copper/Brass
    Description
    This is one of only 110 in the finest grade known by PCGS!

If you have questions regarding this item please send us a message through eBay.

I just didn't see anything special about it, and I know seasoned collectors unlike myself could certainly tell me more.

Michael Rae, you'll have to excuse my "collecting ignorance", but could you explain "slab"?

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. michael rae

michael rae New Member

8. Don Rupanovic

Don Rupanovic New Member

Thanks for the insight on that Michael Rae, I will have to look into having them professionally graded for insurance/future purposes.

9. Don Rupanovic

Don Rupanovic New Member

Here is part of the collection 2002-2007 and 2009:
    SDC10780.JPG

A 1934 Walking Liberty:

SDC10778.JPG SDC10779.JPG

10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Don...the people on here are friendly, informative and almost as smart as me! :chicken:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Looks like you nailed it. Welcome to CT @Don Rupanovic

12. Seattlite86

Don, the uncirculated coins will really only be worth something if they're very high grade. Otherwise, they're just fun to collect. Anything with silver on it has value and Walking Liberties are always collectable. Yours grades pretty low, but it's still a great coin with a great history.

13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I would have to advise against getting them graded until you understand how to grade somewhat are are able to pick out the finest two or three to have graded. At twenty bucks a piece to grade, you will almost certainly lose if you want to sell at a profit. Most of the Sacagewia dollars will grade in the MS-63 to MS-66 range. At this grade, you will pay more for the service of having the coins graded than they will be worth in the end. BTW, slab is just a generic term that we use to say that a coin has been graded. It describes the holder.

swamp yankee, Seattlite86 and USS656 like this.
  14. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT.

15. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Welcome to CT

Can you post better pictures of the half? It is hard to tell because of the lighting but it looks like there is PVC damage. It might just be toning but better pictures will tell the story. Thanks.

16. Don Rupanovic

Don Rupanovic New Member

Not realizing I bought a scanner 4 months ago...:banghead:

half.JPG halfback.JPG

17. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I can't tell what the mintmark is, but the 1934-D and S is a bit more desirable than most dates. Sorry to say that it doesn't carry a big premium, but certainly worth a few bucks more than the melt value.

18. Don Rupanovic

Don Rupanovic New Member

And of course, 2002 D Sacagawea Uncirculated

sacuncirc.JPG

19. Seattlite86

These appear to be spenders to me.

20. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

That is either bad toning or PVC damage and to me it looks like the latter. :( I've seen my share of them. Unfortunately people throw them into sandwich bags and stored them on small lock boxes or dresser drawers and forgot about them for years. When they pull them out years later they are covered in a black PVC residue from the bags they were stored in.

swamp yankee likes this.
  21. Don Rupanovic

Don Rupanovic New Member

I don't know where Dad got it from...he probably saved it from when he was young but I am not 100% sure on that.

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted