New to the forum with a error strike.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Thomas8474, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Thomas8474

Thomas8474 Member

hello new to the forum here. Been into coins ever since I started metal detecting. Found a bunch of nice coins and even found a 1793 US. Chain cent, but unfortunately I had to sell it a couple years back..I think you can see the coin on google images on a metal detecting forum I posted it on.
    But I found a 1980 error strike or what I believe is and error strike. First one I ever found since I started to look through my change. Don't know anything about error strike really though that's why I'm still on the fence on this coin, could be a melted coin on it or something. I noticed from the bottom of the R straight down to the date it has some sort of glossy finish on it and feels like a polished rock. And the gray spot the the right of the date and on the N, not sure if it's acid striped from a splash or if coating wasn't put on ( not sure of that term ) it doesn't seem it's the zinc it eaten away like I find some in the groun since I can clearly still see the N. Thought it was pretty neat..

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

looks like glue, someone glued 2 coins together and this was left after they came apart...

4. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

can you post a picture of the reverse? and welcome

5. Thomas8474

Thomas8474 Member

Yeah it's glue..since you said that I took a needle and chipped a peice off..don't know why I didn't think of that

Attached Files:

ken454 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. eric6794

ok ty I just wanted to get a look at both sides. Sometimes it helps to figure things out but I agree with Ken. I'm not an expert about errors but it does look like a product of glue. If you are not 100% convinced get a bottle of pure acetone and soak it in a closed glass container and if it still looks the same then maybe look further into it.

7. Thomas8474

Thomas8474 Member

The Way she goes.

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

If it were a glue job, wouldn't the CE in cent be backwards?

9. eric6794

no, not if the coin had glue on reverse and sat on top of the obverse leaving a exact copy of what the glue captured.

10. eric6794

11. rickmp

If you were to take a cent, using it as a die, and impress it into glue, the result will always look like this:
    ƎƆ Ǝ

On the OPs coin, the impression looks like this: E CE

That might be a piece of plating broken off of another coin. A retained struck through?

Weigh it.

12. eric6794

but if it was glue and it captured the image and left a raised copy it wouldnt be reversed

13. rickmp

Try it and post your results here.

14. eric6794

its too late for me to go get some gorilla or super glue tonight but if I think of it I will. I hope I am wrong and the OP has something but im going to go with pmd

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is backwards. Look at it upside down ;)
    Capture.JPG

silentnviolent likes this.
  16. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

but you can see thru the substance...

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Soak it in pure acetone and let us know what happens :)

18. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

Welcome Thomas! I became interested in coins because of metal detecting too but now I know more about coins than I do metal detecting. That is only because I bought my detector late in the season . I got to use it for a couple of weeks before things froze up.

Can't wait for the weather to break! Once things froze up I saw that a lot of detectors coin roll hunt in the off season, so I started doing that. That lead me to error hunting. I enjoy it a lot but I am itching to get a full season of detecting under my belt in 2016.

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Yep! E and C look the same backwards (reversed) as they do forwards. Even upside down.

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  20. rickmp

Forward: E CE . . . ONE CENT
    Reversed: ƎƆ Ǝ . . . TИƎƆ ƎИO

However, I can now see that it is actually upside down, making me agree with the glue explanation.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  21. rickmp

cent.jpeg
    I rotated and cropped the photo to show this. That's what convinced me it's a glue job.

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted