New to the forum and have a couple questions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Flemgunner, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Flemgunner

Flemgunner New Member

Hey guys, Ive started collecting ancient roman coins and was wondering what are some of the "Go To" sources for ID? Ive been searching around on the net, and there is a lot, but I was wondering if there was a big name I missed.
    Anywho, glad to be here. and here are a couple Im working on
    3.jpg 4.jpg
    Im pretty sure this is a type on Constantius but the "B" on the reverse left field is kind of throwing me off as to Gallus or II.

2.jpg
    This one... No clue, Just started looking at it

ominus1 and Ryro like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I'm with you on the 1st coin. I think it's Constantius II with a fh reverse.
    Could we see the reverse of coin 2?
    And welcome to the party pal!

ominus1 likes this.
  4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

This forum has been one of the best resources I have ever found. Lots of knowledgeable people who are happy to help.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    ominus1 likes this.
  5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that will be able to answer your questions. Our resident expert of fallen horseman is @randygeki and he will be able to give you an ID if anyone can.

For online sources I would recomend WildWinds http://www.wildwinds.com/ for all of your Greek, Roman, and Byzantine coins. It is a great website and fairly user friendly. You can also try Forum Ancient Coin's Roman Attribution page: http://www.romancoin.info/#Identifying Common Late Roman Bronze Coins

randygeki and ominus1 like this.
  6. Flemgunner

Flemgunner New Member

Cool thanx guys. Ive been searching around here and it certainly does seem like a good bit of knowledge is here.
    BTW here is the rev of coin 2
    .jpg

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hi and Welcome to the Forum. I joined on April 28, 2017 and have found this site to be a great resource of information, a great way to share information about your coins and view what others are collecting, and also a way to make the hobby a social one rather than a solitary experience...

ominus1 likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome, @Flemgunner :)

As you've noticed, there isn't any one reference. TheRed's suggestions are good. If you have a bunch of "uncleaned" Roman coins or other small low grade Roman coins, they're likely late Roman bronzes ("LRBs") and another good online resource for identification help is the Tesorillo website. On the linked page, I find the "Types of Reverses" section most helpful.

As for your coin #2 (cropped, joined, and posted in full rather than a thumbnail, so that others can more easily view it), it is a follis of Galerius with Genius reverse.

CT-Flemgunner-GalValFollis.jpg

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..welcome to the forum.. this is where you'll find the best of the flock.. answers, opinions, jokes and good peeps! :)

Justin Lee, TIF and Ryro like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A rule to remember: Constantius Gallus was the junior assistant or 'Caesar' of Constantius II 'Augustus'. They issued the same type coins but portraits of Constantius II always had a head with diadem or other decoration while Gallus never (read that NEVER) did. If you have narrowed the coin down to one or the other and there is not one letter of legend remaining, you can ID the coin by the headgear or lack thereof. If you have a falling horseman coin with a bare headed obverse portrait, it can ONLY be Constantius Gallus or Julian II who succeeded him as Caesar also under Constantius II. To tell them apart you need a letter or two from the name part of the legend CONST or IVLI unless the coin is larger than a US cent which would make it Gallus since Julian came along later after the coin size had been reduced.

There are a thousand little rule/clues like this that make ID easier if you learn them. We here on CT Ancients are happy to help in that process. Our jog would be a lot easier if you would take the time to learn to make reasonable images of your coins. Don't wait for TIF to crop and polish your images for you.

TIF, randygeki and Andres2 like this.
  11. Flemgunner

Flemgunner New Member

There does seem to be a remnant of headgear. so that would make it a Constantius II correct? Im still not sure what the B represents. Also what would be the mint on this? Any way of knowing

12. Flemgunner

Flemgunner New Member

Actually with the help of yall and the tesorillo site I think Ive got it figured out. Thanx much yall

Alegandron likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is why we need a better image. I might be imagining things here but the mintmark may read SMTS which is Thessalonika. IF and only if that is correct, the B means second workshop. Thessalonika was the only mint that placed the workshop number in the field. Other mints used that space for a series letter that would identify the weight standard.

My second shop SMTS is not as clear as I would prefer:
    rx6650bb2404.jpg

However, if the mintmark shows this to be any other series than this one with SMTS, the B would indicate a weight standards like the one below. This is also from Thessalonika but here uses TS followed by the gamma for third workshop. They dropped the SM (sacra moneta) for this series.
    rx6690bb2220.jpg
    Consistency was not as important with the Romans as collectors would prefer. This one SMTS Thessalonika is the only one of all the falling horsemen varieties that put the workshop letter in this position. This answer would have been a lot easier if I did not have to cover the possibility that your coin was the exception rather than the rule.

I have a page on falling horsemen for those interested:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/fh.html

randygeki and Bing like this.
  14. Flemgunner

Flemgunner New Member

Ahh got it. I think mine may be the exception then. It’s pretty easy to see the B on the revers and the twin things coming out the back of the head really look like the ends of a headdress. Also there is a gain impression of on the head of it as well.
    I’ve tryed to make the pictures better
    F60ABDDC-0396-4667-BDAD-D99ECFFD2C76.jpeg 56DD4C3B-485E-4756-B27F-F978D06B2BE4.jpeg

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Im late to the party, been at work for 12 hrs :p But yeah Thessalonika, @dougsmit nailed it.

feltemp.jpg .

16. Flemgunner

Flemgunner New Member

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is amazing what a decent photo can do. I suppose we could point out that a decent condition example of that common coin would not be expensive and much easier to photograph. Another way of identifying new coins is to buy identified coins from good dealers who do not mind helping beginners. We have several good ones that post here and many non dealer members who probably have better coins they would sell for next to nothing that would still be of interest to many new collectors. This may not work if you will only collect mint state rarities but I suspect several of us could provide some beginner coins if we knew where they would be appreciated.

19. Flemgunner

Flemgunner New Member

Good info. I must admit I like to clean up the unknown ones. Something about the thrill of the hunt

TIF likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

It is a totally understandable urge.

TIF likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

(Belated LOL @randygecki's montage) :hilarious:

randygeki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted