New to slabs question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Westtexasbound, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

I see that both of the main grading companies now have an edge view slab. Which one shows more of the edge?

Prior to the change does the PCGS slab show the edge in any way? It might not be floating but can it be seen?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Buy the coin not the slab, if there is a problem with the edge it will be noted on the slab

fish4uinmd likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Both PCGS & NGC are about equal in their edge view.

Prior, there was no way to see the edge.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Even though the old PCGS slab was somewhat translucent, you still couldn't see too much on the edge. The new PCGS slab has three wide "prongs" and the new NGC slab has four narrow "prongs" so the view of the edge details depends on what is impressed on it.

Chris

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

You could not get a meaningful view of the edge of a coin in the old PCGS holders, but where there was good contact between the coin and the gasket, you could sometimes see the edge.

7. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

Slight contradiction. The point is that I want to see as much of the coin as possible. You say buy the coin but then say rely on the grading service to note a problem. I am saying there are two equal coins in term of eye appeal and which slab displays them better

8. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Based on the best view of the edge, for silver dollar/half dollar sized coins I would go with PCGS, but for quarter size and smaller coins I would go with NGC.

Draft saved Draft deleted