New to Site, Excited. First Post is one I found in Collection. An 1886 (o) Morgan Silver Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by tsegreti, May 14, 2017.

1. tsegreti

tsegreti New Member

I know at the right quality this can be a highly valuable coin. I am new to this and don't fully understand the process. Any input is highly appreciated!
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tsegreti

tsegreti New Member

I also have the same year Morgan silver dollar in better condition without the (o) mark.

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, welcome. Worn Morgans are usually worth only around melt unless it is a rare date. Afraid I don't know what the "magic" dates are, but I'm sure someone will come along and inform you.

tsegreti likes this.
  5. tsegreti

tsegreti New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yea I thought as much. I think this is a good date just wish it was in better condition. Although don't we all haha

6. Kentucky

Looking in my 2011 "Red Book" (A Guide Book Of United States Coins - R.S. Yeoman) an essential source for collecting American coins. Not necessarily for the price, since they only come out yearly, but for information and relative price or scarcity. The 86-O had 11,000,000 made and is pretty much base price for silver dollars until you get to the high grades. Get yourself a red book, you won't be sorry.

Pocket_change likes this.
  7. tsegreti

tsegreti New Member

Thanks! I assume that is readily available on like ebay. I gotta get me one of those

Nathan401 likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Yeah, e-bay would be a good place. Even if you get one a couple of years old, the information is still good, and, as I said, the prices are moderately useless anyway.

tsegreti likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood @tsegreti !

Most of the mintage of the '86-O was released into circulation, and mint state specimens in choice to gem condition are rather rare. Many of the '86-O were melted by authority of the Pittman Act.

Chris

10. MerlinAurelius

MerlinAurelius Well-Known Member

20170425_202217.jpg 20170425_202249.jpg Beautiful Morgan @tsegreti
    Welcome to the best coin forums on the web.

Here is my lone Morgan.
    Photos always go sideways. Sorry about that...

11. Pocket_change

Pocket_change Member

Hey there

I am pretty new as well to the site. But there are many members here that are willing to help or help answer questions. Check the search for the same question before you post it may save you a ton of time on a coin, that is just a coin.

A site I was referred to by another member is:
    http://www.vamworld.com/
    There is a video on YouTube that will help you grade your coin or future coins.

Thanks Chris, interesting read on the Pittman Act.

Welcome to CT!!

Pocket_change

MerlinAurelius likes this.
  12. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Welcome tsegreti! Your Morgan grades a nice F12, with nice original color. I'd say it's worth a bit more than melt, say $18-$19.

13. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Welcome to the site. Your Morgan is very nice.

14. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

If you are particularly interested in Morgan Dollars, as many of us are, I highly recommend the Whitman Red Book guide book of Morgan Silver Dollars.It gives far more than just coin values. It has a separate page for each dollar year by year and mint by mint. Specifies the individual characteristics of each and much more. Very interesting! The book is easy to navigate and gives you more info about Morgans than you knew there was. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of numismatics.

15. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Since most of the 1886 O dollars saw extensive release and circulation, it is pretty common in circulated grades such as yours.

It doesn't begin to climb in rarity until almost uncirculated condition.

Gem, mint state examples can be worth around $150,000.00 and more.

Welcome and nice coin.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to the lodge!:D

17. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Welcome to CT! Morgan dollars are as good as anyplace to start a collection. The hobby needs younger people such as yourself to survive. Again, welcome!

18. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome to C.T.

Draft saved Draft deleted