New (to me) sticker: "Sight White"?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Dec 24, 2019.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I don't need it, but....whatever.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, it is a thing.

And no, we don't need it.

That's why NGC discontinued the "W" designation many years ago.

5. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit racist to me!
    J.T.

6. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Every grading service started somewhere, so I guess they can give it a shot. Not sure if they will amount to much, but they need to proofread their site? They are named "Sight White," but the very first reference to what they do is "Site White."

LakeEffect likes this.
  7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

In the FAQ, he reveals it's a one-person operation that's free of charge, at least for now. :)

-jeffB likes this.
  8. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

9. -jeffB

Of course, if he's not charging for the service, he's Doing It Wrong.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

I heard that he was trying to have it become more recognized and then the plan was to sell the company. If there is no revenue from it though, then I don't see it being easy to sell.

Another benefit might be to make it like CAC where a sticker means he will buy the coin at his bid.

11. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I spoke with Bob Paul (owner) at a show last summer. He explained the “why” of it- It’s for sight unseen dealer to dealer transactions. He’s a wholesale dealer.

White coins are popular and sell... If you’re buying a big group of Morgans in xyz grades at wholesale, if it’s a lot with Sight White stickers you know they won’t be dogs with spotty unattractive toning. Really nice guy and as mentioned the service is free at this time.

LakeEffect and ddddd like this.
  12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oh I don't know Jeff. I am currently, and have been for over 20 years, approving and or disapproving of coins that people are thinking of buying for their collections. And at the same time teaching them how to grade and select coins for themselves. And it's been a very large group of people. And I've done all of it for free and always will. Of course nobody ever gets a "sticker" on anything, they just get an email telling them yes, no, and why.

And if and when they ever decide to sell one of those coins I've approved, they typically sell in 10 minutes or less and often for a substantial profit.

I'd bet ya lot that not a one of them thinks or ever has thought I've been doing anything "wrong" for them. :)

Histman likes this.
  13. -jeffB

That's because your goal wasn't to wring more money out of them, as suggested in the comment I was responding to.

14. William Sherman

William Sherman New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted