new to collecting what gold coins should i buy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by matguk1, Dec 11, 2013.

1. matguk1

matguk1 New Member

hey, im new to collecting coins and have brought a few half sovereigns and full sovereigns, ! what coins should I be looking for ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

What ever tickles you. I like classic U.S. Gold

4. matguk1

matguk1 New Member

looking to collect uk gold really

5. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Ok, then I would buy U.K. Gold. Maybe I dont understand your question.

6. athrose

athrose Member

I was in your shoes several years ago and I made the decision to go with a series that I could realistically complete. The series had to be new enough that I would not have to mortgage the house to catch up with the coins already released and have a design that I thought was nice to look at. Third consideration was sufficient volume that would allow me to sell the coins should it ever be necessary. Fourth consideration was value appreciation. While I don't view my collections as investments, I don't want to loose money either.

I thought about the American Gold Eagles series, but found it would take a small fortune to purchase every four coin set released to date. I thought about the presidential spouse series and even started to collect them, but a family need arose so I ended up selling them. I finally settled on the gold buffalo series. I have purchased only proofs to this point plus the 2008 uncirculated four coin set. The recent release of the reverse proof added some excitement to the series as well as the potential new low mintage 2013 coin.

In the end, only you can determine what it is that you want to collect as our collecting objectives are all unique.

7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I like the 2 and a half dollar Indian, just have a couple. Not intending to build a set.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Big fan of the st gaudens $20 love the early us stuff but i can't afford it like the liberty gold coins of 1839-1907 too

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Can't go wrong with classic 'Liberty's' and St. Gaudens but you might want to pepper your holdings with some contemporary (US) one ounce issues......

10. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

I don't have a ton of money to throw towards gold coins, allthough I have enough to dabble in them. I personally collect smaller ones that I can find for a decent price that doesn't carry too much of a premium. Apmex has some decent one listed on eBay or their site where there are many you can get that are not too overpriced. However its all in what you're looking for and what appeals to you and I don't know your budget either. Cuurently I am interested in working my way up the Mexican Pesos ladder which the coins are pretty nice in my opinion. But at the same time if you have the funds you can go wrong with old US gold.

11. gubni

gubni Active Member

US classic gold. Get an album and try to fill each slot.

12. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

I'd pm Mr Roots and ask him or maybe he will answer this post and tell us all.

13. vpr

vpr Active Member

Buy what you think is cool, if you're collecting. If you want to buy bullion coins for primarily the melt value, you can't go wrong with the suggestions here. AGEs, pre-33 US gold, maples, etc. I like to stay away from the European "junk gold" coins unless I can get them for less than melt. I've seen dealers sell them for a discount to melt value, at times. Have not seen this lately but I think back in 2010-2011. And they're not as liquid as AGEs.

14. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

He should collect whatever makes him happy that's within his means.

Draft saved Draft deleted