New to coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PamR, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT. The 2022 Red Book is already on the market, I have one. Good luck.

PamR likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Thank you

4. LDRider

LDRider Member

Which version of the Red Book do you recommend? Looks like there are a number of choices from Mega Red to annual Red Books. As you can tell, I'm new to the science of collecting, although I've been collecting since I was a child. Thanks!

CoinJockey73 and PamR like this.
  5. PamR

Thank you so much. I bought one on Saturday. Very interesting. Thanks again.

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  6. PamR

Oh my. I’m very new lol. I bought this one but someone stated the 2022 is out. Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  7. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

You can’t go wrong, either version is good...your personal choice. The 2022 will have the latest available mintage info...jmho...Spark

CoinJockey73 and PamR like this.
  8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Honestly, when it comes to red books, it depends on what you are interested in. If you like a particular denomination, I would suggest the Mega Red Book with that denomination in depth. Dates do not matter much unless you collect very new coins. Prices are always GROSS guidelines. Be warned mega redbooks are huge though. If you want a smaller one to use, get a regular redbook.

PamR likes this.
  9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I started collecting when I inherited half of my father's collection. The coins were a mix of U.S. and Canadian coins with several from other countries my served in during WWII. I got hooked and have had fun. There are several presentations on You Tube that give some recommendations. If you continue to collect coins, make sure you know what your doing.

PamR likes this.
  10. PamR

Yes I saw the big one. Wow

11. PamR

Thank you. It just hit me more or less last week. Had coins just saved just because. But interesting it is. Thanks again.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

They are pretty great resources though. If you are interested in say cents, getting the mega redbook specializing in cents is like getting a redbook and a pretty darn good book on all US cents ever made, (in depth information on each series and date, not just redbook listings).

Information is critical, especially to a newer collector. There is no such thing as too much information that you need right now.

In fact, borrowing different date mega redbooks from your library is not a bad idea if you can get them. Each year specializes in different denominations. Pretty darn good information. There are other threads here giving book recommendations. All are good recommendations.

Diogenes Diaz and PamR like this.
  13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

My Red Book library started with my first purchase of the 2009 Red Book. I keep them all in my library. My one mistake was buying a spiral bound Red Book. I've kept it, but I don't like it because it makes my library of Red Books look cluttered. I now get all hardback bound Red Books.
    I do have a question" Is there a library of Red Books that start from the beginning of the Red Books. I have found that the publisher doesn't always carry information from one year to the next and some of the information might not be available in the next publication of the 2022 Red Book.

14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Nice to know

15. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Also Franklin was not fond of the eagle as our national symbol. He wanted it to be the wild turkey.

PamR likes this.
  16. PamR

Thank you. Yes it is addicting already. I am surprised of some things I find since reading etc. I have a friend that is from Conway. Razorback. LSU lol! She lives in Texas now where her daughters are. She loves her hometown. Thanks again!

Spark1951 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted