New to coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by DelaneyRon, Jul 14, 2019.

?

Is it anything special

1. Any value

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Is it unique

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DelaneyRon

DelaneyRon New Member

Going through quarters this 1992 is a lot thicker and has no outside ridges. I have never collected coins in just caught my eye

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your quarter is damaged intentionally.
    It was spooned or hammered.
    FLQKH55FRXW6RZD.MEDIUM.gif

We see these a lot here on CoinTalk

We do have an Error Coins forum here on CoinTalk if you have any future questions concerning possible Mint Errors.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Ron!

There are countless ways that errors can occur, both Mint-made and post-mint damage (PMD). It takes a long time for most novice collectors to learn the proper terminology for these errors. It's impossible for you to "Google" what you don't know. Like @paddyman98 said, we do have a forum specifically for errors, so when you are in doubt, it is best that you post your images there and tell us what you think you see.

Chris

5. DelaneyRon

DelaneyRon New Member

Thanks... I can see where this could be a fun hobby.

And looks like a lot of study to have any idea what I am doing.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to the forum..... Tap that coin long enough with a spoon then drill out the center and you have yourself a nice ring. Ask me how I know!!.... The things I did as a youngster....

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

:grumpy: Perhaps a new forum " New to coins and you want to know about yours start here"

And they could be directed to What's it worth, error coins, ancient coins, Foreign coins Bullion investing, Coin microscopy and photography,

But probably no one would read the list or want people to think they are new?

And would the kind people like the ones on this thread still help as much as they do?

It's up to Peter anyway, so just a thought process. Jim

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hey, Jim! How about asking Peter to add a new forum....

Everything you wanted to know but were too afraid to ask!

Chris

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

These have also been called "prison coins." The inmates, who have nothing else better to do, "spoon" the sides of the coin for hours on end.

Draft saved Draft deleted